Objectivism Online Forum

Oslo Shooting and Bombing

Rate this topic

A search of the 1500-page manifesto of the Norwegian terrorist finds a few mentions of Ayn Rand and one quote of hers. I'm waiting for the Leftists to attempt to make something of this.

I'm skimming over the "manifesto", it does say many things that I'd find appealing, but in a horrible "reactionary" context. It raises valid points but with an agenda worse than the one it tries to combat. Need to finish reading it. it's torture.

It uses the word "indigenist" which is what I call Hitler's racism. I hate indigenism, I love internationalism and being a citizen of the world. the only country I truly admire is the one that has no official language and no official or unofficial ethnicity.

That said, living in Latin America, I can see how celebrated "Indigenism" (nativism) is in the left.

What is "Right" in Europe is "Left" in Latin America, Africa, Russia, and probably some parts of Asia.

:dough:

• 3 weeks later...

Breivik’s manifesto is freely available as a pdf now; I downloaded it, skimmed it and did some searches for various names he references. There are 3 hits for Ayn Rand, here they are:

Page 373

Instead of destroying the discipline of sociology by removing it, an alternative approach is to completely reform it; replacing the Marxist ideological view with a conservative/anti-Marxist by instead using ideological fundaments from the following works/authors;

The Bible

Machiavelli

George Orwell

Thomas Hobbes

John Stuart Mill

John Locke

Adam Smith

Edmund Burke

Ayn Rand

William James

Page 585

“We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality.”

Ayn Rand

Page 1407

Q: Name your favourite […] n. books

n. George Orwell - Nineteen Eighty-Four, Thomas Hobbes – Leviathan, John Stuart Mill -

On Liberty, John Locke - Essay Concerning Human Understanding, Adam Smith - The

Wealth of Nations, Edmund Burke - Reflections on the Revolution in France, Ayn Rand –

Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead, William James – Pragmatism, Carl von Clausewitz - On

War, Fjordman – Defeating Eurabia

Other important books I’ve read (in random order):

The Bible, Avesta, Quran, Hadith, Plato - The Republic, Niccolò Machiavelli - The Prince,

William Shakespeare - First Folio, Immanuel Kant - Critique of Pure Reason, Homer - Iliad

and Odyssey, Dante Alighieri - The Divine Comedy, Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels -

Communist Manifesto, Charles Darwin - The Origin of Species, Leo Tolstoy - War and Peace,

Franz Kafka - The Trial, Arnold Joseph Toynbee - A Study of History

Meanwhile there are 62 hits for Jesus, 46 for Robert Spencer, 116 links to Jihadwatch and over 20 links to Pamela Geller’s hate site.

Looking at his list of books, I’m reminded of Jared Loughner, who had Rand’s We the Living listed among some odd company. I suspect, can’t prove it obviously, that Breivik got his Rand connection from Pamela Geller. Also, still speculating, I doubt he’s actually read all the works he lists. My reasoning is that he lists Kant’s Critique of Pure Reason, which is like listing Joyce’s Finnegans Wake. I don’t say no one’s read it, but whenever someone claims they have I get awful suspicious that I’m talking to a poseur.

• 4 months later...

What???

McVeigh was a registered Republican in the eighties, yes, but there is simply no evidence of his being a mainstream conservative. And though he was raised Catholic, he himself said he lost touch with it as an adult, and described himself as an agnostic (though he did ask for last rites from a priest before being executed -- no atheists in a foxhole, I suppose...). He was not a "practicing Catholic" at all. He didn't attend Mass as an adult, which is the bare minimum for being a practicing Catholic.

Just for corrections, because I missed this one: When McVeigh claimed to be an agnostic, he thought it meant "I'm not sure what denomination of Christianity I am". That's why he didn't attend mass - not because he was an agnostic. He still professed a belief in a God.