Objectivism Online Forum

Objective health values life objectively

Rate this topic

http://www.promedmail.org/pls/otn/f?p=2400:1001:3655468672013241::NO::F2400_P1001_BACK_PAGE,F2400_P1001_PUB_MAIL_ID:1000,89446

Sexual Transmission of Hepatitis C Virus

----------------------------------------

In the United States, an estimated 3.2 million persons are living

with hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection (1). HCV transmission occurs

primarily through percutaneous exposure to blood, and persons who

inject drugs are at greatest risk for infection. The role of sexual

transmission of HCV has not been well defined. However, reports over

the past decade, mainly from Europe, have implicated sexual

transmission of HCV among human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-infected

men who have sex with men (MSM). In late 2005, 2 HIV-infected MSM,

each with acute HCV infection that was suspected to have been acquired

sexually, were evaluated at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York

City, prompting Mount Sinai to request referrals of similar patients

(2).

I thought it clear in the title, "Objective health values life objectively." Y'all can apologize for alternative lifestyles as you will, but you cannot escape the consequences of them.

I thought it clear in the title, "Objective health values life objectively." Y'all can apologize for alternative lifestyles as you will, but you cannot escape the consequences of them.

I see, so you're ineptly trying to make the case that 'alternative lifestyles' such as homosexuality cannot be objective values because they slightly increase the risk of contracting harmful disease number 6. I say ineptly, because your quotations cites a grand total of two cases, and the article you linked documents a grand total of 74 cases discovered over a period of five years.

In any case, if I were you, I'd focus on other lifestyles choices where the chances of contracting diseases due to the lifestyle is much higher. Here, I've even gone and found two for you: Becoming a doctor or nurse and becoming a police officer. You'd better get to work convincing the apologists for these lifestyles of their objective disvalue!

Thank goodness that you are not me! It would be horrible of ME to prescribe another's behavior.

The citation is to a professional collection, an ana if you will, of observations beyond anecdotes.

I don't know what makes policeman to you. I am wearing my sidearm even as I write. Wisconsin has just passed 2011 Act 35. I qualified as EMT in about 1980 because I could.

Edited by Doug Huffman

I should hope the issue of whether or not one is wearing a firearm is totally irrelevant to whether one is a policeman, and it ought to be totally irrelevant TO the policeman even if done in public. These days, depending on locale one can get questioned, harassed or arrested for that act.

Thank goodness that you are not me! It would be horrible of ME to prescribe another's behavior.

The citation is to a professional collection, an ana if you will, of observations beyond anecdotes.

I don't know what makes policeman to you. I am wearing my sidearm even as I write. Wisconsin has just passed 2011 Act 35. I qualified as EMT in about 1980 because I could.

Apparently you missed the points of both of my posts...

1. If this is simply for your collection of observation, and you're not trying to 'prescribe' the behavior of others in posting it here, then my original question still stands; what is the point of posting it here, in this discussion forum?

2. The fact that some lifestyle or career choice exposes that person to an increased risk of something bad does not mean that the choice in question is objectively unhealthy. It simply does not follow. If it did, almost every single lifestyle choice would be objectively unhealthy, starting with choosing a career as a doctor, nurse, or police officer. Almost every action we take puts us at increased risk of something; this is why isolated facts do not provide enough context to write off entire lifestyles.

There is nothing unique about "alternative lifestyles" that uniquely causes diseases, just the particular set of diseases spread that way.

Check out these alarming headlines for an STD associated with a "mainstream lifestyle".

Worries About a Gonorrhea ‘Superbug’

Antibiotic-Resistant Gonorrhea (ARG)

lol

It is unclear to me what the thrust, so to speak, of this thread is about.

Yes JASKN, the purpose of this thread is also ambigious to me.

Please Doug Huffman can you explain to me what you are trying to say.:) Please put it simply and clearly.

Thanks and Regards,

Andre