Objectivism Online Forum

Declaration of Independence Banned at Calif School

Rate this topic

Now, I recognize that it was the ideas of the Enlightenment, and not Christianity that made America great. But, this goes too far. Personally, I think it's horrific to take the Declearation of Independence out of the classroom because of its reference to God.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable Rights,that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. -- That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, -- That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

I have a feeling it's not the references to God that the nihilists are after, but what's in bold.

Well, I do think that getting the government out of the education business is an excellent idea.

Regarding this, the teacher sued the school district. He appears to have an excellent chance of winning.

That particular principal should be admonished for what she did.

• 8 years later...

This new-story is ancient history, but I was reading about it and figured I'd update this old thread. Turns out that the Californian schools did not ban the Declaration of Independence (no surprise) and that FOX spread the story by reporting only one side of it (again, no surprise).

The Declaration, including the "creator" part is used in schools, and is displayed in schools. The particular teacher was banned from some "supplementary material" he wanted to show his students, to show them that the "creator" idea and God were also mentioned in other early American documents. This was an elementary school -- which is important for the context. Some parents complained to the school administration.

The evidence points to this teacher being more of a supporter of the fallacious "Christian nation" thesis than he lets on.

(The link in the OP is broken, but Google brings up lots of articles. In addition, see this summary from "Media Matters".

This new-story is ancient history, but I was reading about it and figured I'd update this old thread. Turns out that the Californian schools did not ban the Declaration of Independence (no surprise) and that FOX spread the story by reporting only one side of it (again, no surprise).

The Declaration, including the "creator" part is used in schools, and is displayed in schools. The particular teacher was banned from some "supplementary material" he wanted to show his students, to show them that the "creator" idea and God were also mentioned in other early American documents. This was an elementary school -- which is important for the context. Some parents complained to the school administration.

The evidence points to this teacher being more of a supporter of the fallacious "Christian nation" thesis than he lets on.

(The link in the OP is broken, but Google brings up lots of articles. In addition, see this summary from "Media Matters".

That some reported news agency ran this story in a possibly slanted story, seems to imply that news agencies are somehow responsible to air only verifiable content without any editorial slants. The purpose of news is to produce revenue for the entity providing the capital(in a free society).

I think it is a fallacy to believe that any content on any for profit medium is to be held to any standard other than profitability.

The purpose of news is to produce revenue for the entity providing the capital(in a free society). I think it is a fallacy to believe that any content on any for profit medium is to be held to any standard other than profitability.

I disagree. This is analogous to the liberals who say that financial advisers want to rob their customers blind, restaurants want to poison their food, and doctors want to keep them sick. Of course there are shady businessmen, who operate primarily on false pretenses. That is undeniable. However, the right approach is to criticize such behavior as immoral and fraudulent.

I disagree. This is analogous to the liberals who say that financial advisers want to rob their customers blind, restaurants want to poison their food, and doctors want to keep them sick. Of course there are shady businessmen, who operate primarily on false pretenses. That is undeniable. However, the right approach is to criticize such behavior as immoral and fraudulent.

Granted if the show or network in question makes assertions that they are in fact producing what they endeavour to be unslanted content, and FOX would fell in this category, "we report you decide". I was refering to the idea that any broadcast media and its content has to seen in the context in which it operates, that being its ability to garner the most profit from any expected audience to which it appeals.

Nor do I think this any fault, just a fact all should be cognizant of when refering to broadcast media for any 'facts'.

Now, I recognize that it was the ideas of the Enlightenment, and not Christianity that made America great. But, this goes too far. Personally, I think it's horrific to take the Declearation of Independence out of the classroom because of its reference to God.

I have a feeling it's not the references to God that the nihilists are after, but what's in bold.

Our "creator" is nature.  So read the DOI as follows:  

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are by nature equal, that they are endowed by nature  with certain inalienable Rights,that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. .....   etc.  etc....

Most of the Founders were Deists,  not Theists.  The author of the DOI  was in effect a closet atheist.   In those days it was not wise to be an explicit atheist in public.   In the European nations such a position could end with imprisonment or even capital execution.....,

ruveyn1