Objectivism Online Forum

Wouldn't it be amazing if Ayn Rand was still alive and she had her

Rate this topic

own talk radio show?

It would be hilarious to listen to all the crazies that would call in that think they know everything and actually turn out to be the butt of the argument. Do you think that's something she would be interested in doing or would she be offended by the notion? It think she would probably think it was a drag but hypothetically if she did and you could call in what would you talk about? I would choose one of many topics which include food and drug regulation (ie. who is going to inspect a restaurant to make sure it is sanitary?) and What do you think of the ideals being taught in universities nowadays?

Edited by Dreamspirit

Leonard Peikoff ( her intellectual heir) had a radio show for a number of years, and the Ayn Rand Institute have made some of the recordings available for registered users (http://www.aynrand.org/site/PageServer?pagename=index) . These may be the closest thing you could find to what it might have been like if Ayn Rand had have done such a thing.

I believe he considered it useful to help get Objectivist ideas "out there" and to further discussion of important issues amongst existing Objectivists, as well as clearing up any possible confusions that they might have had. I am not sure if Ayn Rand would have seen as much value in it ( Peikoff considers himself more of a [ philosophically informed ] "social commentator" than a philosopher, so this may partially explain his former interest in the project), but I think it is conceivable.

• 2 weeks later...

own talk radio show?

It would be hilarious to listen to all the crazies that would call in that think they know everything and actually turn out to be the butt of the argument. Do you think that's something she would be interested in doing or would she be offended by the notion? It think she would probably think it was a drag but hypothetically if she did and you could call in what would you talk about? I would choose one of many topics which include food and drug regulation (ie. who is going to inspect a restaurant to make sure it is sanitary?) and What do you think of the ideals being taught in universities nowadays?

She definitly had a knack for completely demolishing people in debate. I get a kick out of watching those youtube videos of talk show interviews where she would just stomp on the host's or audience members' arguments without even taking one second to think up her answer. It would be hilarious to see her go up against today's college know-it-alls who can barely string together a coherent sentence but think they have the world figured out.