Objectivism Online Forum

Improving written skills

Rate this topic

yoni

I'm planning on improving my communcation skills, I'm just not sure how to go about it. I don't want to spend all day writing essays because I just don't have time, but I think I can try integrate some new skills into research reports or general communications (they are largely technical - but there is heaps of room for improving my communication).

Right now I use memrise.com to expand my vocab, but in terms of structuring my thoughts, ideas and writing them out cleanly I really have no clue.

I'd like to be able to study at the OAC at some point, but I don't even want to try the entrance exam given my written skills at the moment.

Any suggestions?

Edited by yoni

Right now I use memrise.com to expand my vocab, but in terms of structuring my thoughts, ideas and writing them out cleanly I really have no clue.

I'd like to be able to study at the OAC at some point, but I don't even want to try the entrance exam given my written skills at the moment.

Any suggestions?

Get Ayn Rand's book "The Art of Nonfiction", I highly recommend it.

Like all of her writing, it attacks the subject in a logical, systematic and concrete way. Her writing, as always, is so well thought-out and concise that it is practically a professional level treatise in less than 200 pages and covering the material you are talking about is done in less than 100 pages. It improves your writing by organizing your thinking.

Generally, one of the best ways to improve your vocabulary and writing is by reading. Read a lot.

I'm planning on improving my communcation skills, I'm just not sure how to go about it. I don't want to spend all day writing essays because I just don't have time, but I think I can try integrate some new skills into research reports or general communications (they are largely technical - but there is heaps of room for improving my communication).

Any suggestions?

One of the best tools I have seen for improving written communication skills is Principles of Grammar by Leonard Peikoff; available at the Ayn Rand Bookstore. Check the following link:

http://www.aynrandbookstore2.com/prodinfo.asp?number=LP05M