Objectivism Online Forum

Obama to Unveil New Plan to Deal with Economy

Rate this topic

WilliamColton

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/17/obama-jobs-economy-speech_n_929024.html

"The final details of Obama's new economic plan have not been decided, and it is expected to be broader than the proposals known so far."

Oddly reminiscent of a work of non-fiction you may have read?

So, with these 'proposals' coming one after the other as they've been, and all of them being empty promises and re-election material, when will rhetoric become reality? How much in these bills and proposals are actually being worked into the system, unnoticed by the layman? I know I haven't read any of these bills or proposals closely, as I figured none of them had a leg to stand on.

I guess my question is: do these people (I'm referring to damn near every politician, here) realize they're reading from Atlas Shrugged nearly word for word (and not the parts that are to be admired), and if they do, how could they think the rest of us are that stupid. What are the odds of any of these proposals and bills amounting to anything (being passed, implemented)?

This isn't a very well articulated post, I know. It just flabbergast's me how closely Obama and the gang are towing the Mouch line.

-WC

And, yeah, I used 'flabbergast'. What a word.

This is where "gridlock" pays off. Neither Obama nor the Republicans will agree on doing anything. While almost anything they decide to do will be negative, it is unlikely to be ambitious until the results of the next election are out. So, the main problem we face going forward are the "errors of omission": our politicians not addressing the two or three key areas that would set the economy on the right path.

I heard the following guesses about Obama's plan:

• extend unemployment insurance (bad idea... don't incentivize what you want to stop; there's a good chance that GOP will resist)
  • extend the payroll tax cut on individuals (bad idea, but the GOP might go along, since "tax cut" is their mantra)
  • some type of targeted tax breaks for companies who hire
  • some mini-WPA type program (though independents may think FDR was a good President, I doubt the GOP in Congress would go along. This would be a very bad idea)
  • a few trade deals (marginal effect, but probably a good idea)
  • some patent reform (not sure what is in there)

The recent debt-ceiling fight has put a ceiling on Obama's options. If his plans means tax cuts or spending, he cannot fund them without going back on the agreed budget targets.

Atlas Shrugged appeals to all of us not because it gives the impression of finally explaining the world, but because it does explain the world.

This is why I can't stand progressivism. It is so transparently adolescent in its irrational idealism, the narcissism of its gurus, and in the fact that each new generation of progressives believes that it is the first to have ever discovered it.

Here's the pressing question: will Obama pass Directive 10-289 before or after the election. If he gets desperate, he may do so beforehand. Then, if republicans win, there's a chance the plan could be exposed. Progressivism-gate if you will.

Atlas Shrugged appeals to all of us not because it gives the impression of finally explaining the world, but because it does explain the world.

This is why I can't stand progressivism. It is so transparently adolescent in its irrational idealism, the narcissism of its gurus, and in the fact that each new generation of progressives believes that it is the first to have ever discovered it.

Thank you. I realize my thread is pointless, but this is the straw I'm grasping at. I guess I'm venting perplexity to the choir on these forums, but it's reassuring none the less.

This is where "gridlock" pays off. Neither Obama nor the Republicans will agree on doing anything. While almost anything they decide to do will be negative, it is unlikely to be ambitious until the results of the next election are out. So, the main problem we face going forward are the "errors of omission": our politicians not addressing the two or three key areas that would set the economy on the right path.

I heard the following guesses about Obama's plan:

• extend unemployment insurance (bad idea... don't incentivize what you want to stop; there's a good chance that GOP will resist)
  • extend the payroll tax cut on individuals (bad idea, but the GOP might go along, since "tax cut" is their mantra)
  • some type of targeted tax breaks for companies who hire
  • some mini-WPA type program (though independents may think FDR was a good President, I doubt the GOP in Congress would go along. This would be a very bad idea)
  • a few trade deals (marginal effect, but probably a good idea)
  • some patent reform (not sure what is in there)

The recent debt-ceiling fight has put a ceiling on Obama's options. If his plans means tax cuts or spending, he cannot fund them without going back on the agreed budget targets.

I'm not well versed on the subject, but "Patent Trolling" strikes me as a large problem for the tech industries and inventors. Perhaps that's on the block, but knowing this administration, I doubt it.

(Please don't grill me on the patent thing; I'm really uninformed on the problems facing patent holders/buyers. It may be dirty on these forums, but I first heard of it on "This American Life". Maybe someone can explain this further?)

Regardless, I can't help but think that the gridlock won't hold out forever; but let's hope that what needs to be stalled remains stalled, and strides that need to be made (hopefully a republican with spine takes the oval) get made. If the trend among conservatives continue, I don't think a republican run board is out of the question, which will surely mean Reagan-like (anti-liberty) social legislation (unless a cat like Huntsman or Paul take it :lol: ) and maybe some positive economic legislation.