Objectivism Online Forum

Stock Market

Rate this topic

Basically every politician in Washington.

Sorry, Sargeant, but that's a useless generalization, a substitute for thought. The Washington culture does present a corrupting influence that no doubt most politicians are susceptible to (and succumb to), and certainly there are a lot of unprincipled, finger-in-the-wind politicians, but it does not necessarily follow that "every politician in Washington" is like that. You have to study these matters -- and people -- with a discerning eye. Yes, it's much harder to do that. It's so-o-o much easier to just skip the homework of studying individuals by dissing them wholesale as a group. Unless you are familiar with the positions and voting histories of all the politicians in Washington, you're in no logical position to make your assessement.

Sorry, Sargeant, but that's a useless generalization, a substitute for thought. The Washington culture does present a corrupting influence that no doubt most politicians are susceptible to (and succumb to), and certainly there are a lot of unprincipled, finger-in-the-wind politicians, but it does not necessarily follow that "every politician in Washington" is like that. You have to study these matters -- and people -- with a discerning eye. Yes, it's much harder to do that. It's so-o-o much easier to just skip the homework of studying individuals by dissing them wholesale as a group. Unless you are familiar with the positions and voting histories of all the politicians in Washington, you're in no logical position to make your assessement.

There is a reason I said basically. When I said, "basically all politicians in Washington," I was speaking about majority of them, not all of them.

Someone who believes one thing one day, then sees popular opinion change, and changes his opinion to put himself in a better position. Basically every politician in Washington.

Yes pragmatism has had a strong pervading influence on the entire culture. Most people seem to be afraid of taking a firm and certain stand on anything because of how certainty has been manipulated and abused by mysticism. Ayn Rand said once "They will scatter like rats at the first sound of a human step" This gives me a sense that a willing mind that is right will triumph no matter how big and menacing the opposition seems to be.