Objectivism Online Forum

Lacey Act

Rate this topic

FeatherFall

Guitar Frets: Environmental Enforcement Leaves Musicians in Fear

I found this story on Drudge. It explains how musicians are affected by environmental import regulation. It was an interesting and sad read for me, but in the end its just another law in the litany of unjust laws. If anyone wants to learn more about the Lacey Act, the USDA has plenty of links.

:(

Turns regular people into criminals...

And changing the tone of an instrument is like changing the colors of a painting, or telling a runner to give up his sneakers. Or really telling anyone to do *anything* he has decided not to do, because of some pandering bureaucrats.

Look, too, at the type of slovenly "worker" (the photographer) the government "employer" enables.

So sad to read about this raid on Gibson.

"Henry Juszkiewicz, Chairman and CEO of Gibson Guitar Corp., has responded to the August 24 raid of Gibson facilities in Nashville and Memphis by the Federal Government. In a press release, Juszkiewicz said: “Gibson is innocent and will fight to protect its rights. Gibson has complied with foreign laws and believes it is innocent of ANY wrong doing. We will fight aggressively to prove our innocence.”"

Here is a video with more info about the Gibson Guitar raid:Gibson Guitar Company under attack

To the tune of "I Hung my Head" by Sting.

Early one morning, with money to kill

The Wildlife Service, sat up on The Hill

They eyed guitar makers, who plying their trade

Had ebony wood, so they planned a raid

Quickly the rushed in, and grabbed all the goods

"You cannot make guitars, from all these dark woods"

So Gibson they handcuffed, and charges they read,

I hung my head, I hung my head.

If Gibson had the money, they should pull a Walmart and pursue litigation that would cost millions and take years. But they don't, so they can't. What they should really do is close shop and move the operation over-seas, and see how kindly the Feds treat them then. If they were to do so, my American made ES-175 would tick up %30-40 in value, so we all win! (Except for freedom and business, but who cares about those trifling matters anymore?).

Edited by WilliamColton