Objectivism Online Forum

Help Me Rename Rationally Selfish

Rate this topic

For the past few months, I've been working on the rebranding of the Rationally Selfish Webcast. Due to other commitments, the work has been slow, but I've made some good progress in the programming of the new web site. The goal is to roll it out at the end of October, which will be the one-year anniversary of the webcast.

However, I'm re-thinking a choice that I made fairly early, namely the choice of the name. I don't want to continue using "Rationally Selfish," because too few people are familiar with the Objectivist understanding of "selfish" and because that's too narrowly focused on ethics. I'd originally chosen "Philosophy in Action," and while that's not offensive, it's also B-O-R-I-N-G. Since I'm already unhappy with it, I'd better change it now, before the launch!

Here's my basic thinking on the matter:

• The name should not be aimed at Objectivists. Objectivism is my philosophic framework, of course, but I'll be working hard to attract a substantially non-Objectivist audience after the re-branding. So the name needs to be comprehensible and compelling to those people.

• The name should refer to or suggest my core focus and expertise, namely philosophy. However, the name should not suggest academic philosophy, e.g. by using technical terms from Aristotle. If anything, the name should suggest a concern for the workings of philosophy in daily life.

• The name should convey the sense of lively enthusiasm that I bring to the webcast. (Right now, I'm thinking that's hugely important.)

• The name must be available as a .com domain name.
A while back, I registered the domains "SaucyPhilosopher.com" and "TheSaucyPhilosopher.com," on a lark, thinking that I might use them. I still like that name, including its suggestion that I'm not humble or reverent toward authority -- because I'm not respectful of our culture's traditions of mysticism, altruism, and statism! However, Paul is lukewarm on the name, because "saucy" does have some negative connotations. Hence, you can help me out by taking this poll:

What does the word "saucy" in "The Saucy Philosopher" convey to you?

Here are the definitions that my dictionary gives:

1. impudent; flippant : a saucy remark.

2. bold and lively; smart-looking : a hat with a saucy brim.

3. sexually suggestive, typically in a way intended to be lighthearted : saucy songs.
Obviously, I'm looking to evoke the second, but I'm fine with a suggestion of the first. And hey, I talk about sex too!

If "saucy" won't do, some other adjective might. Here are some possible alternatives along the same lines, plus some others. I like some of these names better than others, but again, I'm interested in your view. (You can vote for more than one.)

What names do you like?

If you have any other suggestions -- or thoughts -- please post them in the comments.

3372618-3701329758904452137?l=blog.diana

QZTmnq3Fz7M

Cross-posted from Metablog

Philosophy 2.0

Rocky Mountain Spring Philosopher

Deep Thoughts with Hack Diani

You Don't Hsieh

Thinking Harder

Wikipedia's Ex

The Deepest Blog On the Internet

Unmuddied Waters

The Hacker's Cleric

That's all I have for now. I'm sure I'll think of more.

OP