Objectivism Online Forum

Objectivist leaning characters in non-Objectivist fiction

Rate this topic

SapereAude

I decided to reread Gone With The Wind recently and was struck by how many objectivist traits and behaviors the character Rhett Butler displayed.

It struck me as interesting and more than a little amusing, and made me realise this was probably largely responsible for my enjoyment of the book over the years.

Wondering if anyone else has made the same discovery about any of their favorite classics.

I think a good book for Rand fans to check out is A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute. Uninformed detractors point to characters like Gordon Gekko of Wall Street as an embodiment of Rand’s ethics, I say Jean Paget is a better choice. She sets out to improve the lives of the people who once saved her life, with intelligence and through productive work. You’d be hard pressed to call her an altruist, her motivation is too well spelled out. Too bad the last quarter of the book peters out, because the first half is just terrific.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Town_Like_Alice