Objectivism Online Forum

Vampire Weekend

Rate this topic

Jonny Glat

I'm a huge fan of Vampire Weekend and was wondering if anyone else was...

In general what I love about VW is their positivity, their upbeat tempos, Ezra's talented vocals and their creative punchy, afro-pop-meets-beach boys style. Upon doing more research on the band, I learned that they met while studying at Columbia and all come from families of means. This last bit doesn't really matter to me but I love how they made something of myself, worked, and created beautiful, original music when they didn't have to in order to pay the bills.

Also as far as Objectivism goes, there are certainly some lines that Rand would agree with, although I've never heard any of the band members cite Rand in any interviews/inspirations/etc...

"Walcott" off their debut album has a poignant line - "evil feasts on human lives. The Holy Roman Empire moves for you." --> personally I love the first part because I'm reminded of Atlas' "The Sanction of the Victims" and the second part because of the hierarchy involved. "you" being a girl of the protagonist's affections is presented here as incredibly powerful and history/a nation below her, acting for her.

if anyone has other lyrical lines or comments on VW I'd love to get a discussion going.

I like the vocalists singing style, but the band's lyrics have a tendency to be vague. Many of songs are very straightforward, but some are lyricized in the manner of someone trying to conceal a hidden moral or commentary through verbosity. Their beats I'm quite fond of. They are as you said, happy and upbeat, but I moreso enjoy the fact that they are focused, melodious and expressive, rather than the mindless, hysteric scrambles of sounds of some of their companions in genre.

I like the vocalists singing style, but the band's lyrics have a tendency to be vague. Many of songs are very straightforward, but some are lyricized in the manner of someone trying to conceal a hidden moral or commentary through verbosity. Their beats I'm quite fond of. They are as you said, happy and upbeat, but I moreso enjoy the fact that they are focused, melodious and expressive, rather than the mindless, hysteric scrambles of sounds of some of their companions in genre.

Which songs in particular do you contend "conceal a hidden moral or commentary through verbosity" ??

And I agree with the fact that they are "focused, melodious and expressive"