Objectivism Online Forum

Austrian/Keynesian Debate this Friday (Sept 2)

Rate this topic

Dante

If you have an interest in economic thought, some free time this Friday at 6pm EST, and $20 to spend, you might be interested in watching this upcoming debate. The debate proposition: "Government spending can play an important role in boosting economic growth." Info here. Karl Smith waxes eloquent about the debate on his blog here.

The history of the debate, in Smith's words (from his blog link above):

Well, the Austrians at Mises.org challenged Paul Krugman to a debate. Krugman demurred. Seeing no champion to oppose them the Austrians declared victory and a pall was cast over the land.

Wickedness rose up and all that was just and right was driven into the shadows. Flowers wilted. Virgins cried. Cats couldn’t find a comfortable sleeping position. It was a time of unimaginable peril.

But just as things seemed their darkest, a new hope emerged. A hero came forth who could save what was good and decent about the world. A man who could give the people a reason to believe. I speak, of course, of myself.

Now on Friday that hero – me – will vanquish the great evil and send the demon Austrians back into the hellfire from whence they came.