Objectivism Online Forum

To pursue or be pursued?

Rate this topic

Dreamspirit

And those differences are? The only thing I can think of as a big-ass difference off the top of my head (besides plumbing) is that women have a shorter time-frame, vis-a-vis their entire lives, to have children than men do. This might cause a reordering of life priorities IF AND ONLY IF having biological children is important to you.

What, in your opinion, are the salient differences between men and women from the perspective of "harmonious interaction"?

The different ways men and women interact with and between each other. While extremely rational women do exist the unpredictability of most women and the seemingly illogical actions they take throw a lot of men for a loop and if you are prepared for, and frankly, assume the worst (as in least intelligent most irrational) about everyone you can be pleasantly surprised when they don't reflect your assumptions, and you will not be vulnerable if they do reflect them. Another area that should be discussed is the biological tendency (not always true however) for women to subconsciously prefer a submissive/semisubmissive role in relationships. Now i admit all my opinions are from my own experiences which are somewhat limited, yet they continue to hold true for me.

The different ways men and women interact with and between each other. While extremely rational women do exist the unpredictability of most women and the seemingly illogical actions they take throw a lot of men for a loop and if you are prepared for, and frankly, assume the worst (as in least intelligent most irrational) about everyone you can be pleasantly surprised when they don't reflect your assumptions, and you will not be vulnerable if they do reflect them. Another area that should be discussed is the biological tendency (not always true however) for women to subconsciously prefer a submissive/semisubmissive role in relationships. Now i admit all my opinions are from my own experiences which are somewhat limited, yet they continue to hold true for me.

But haven't you questioned that unpredictable nature and "illogical actions" of women?

Don't you think that they do it because they can get away with it -ie, being a woman?

How much of that behavior is a result of nature, how much by nurture - and how much by them experiencing self-affirming reward, because men favorably respond with their own set of preconditioned behavior? Have you noticed the power that these unpredictable actions gain for those women?

I agree this is the way most women (and men) present themselves; it is mostly for control and conformity, I think. It never has to be that way.

With the will to know herself, and the honesty and courage to be herself, I have also observed women throw it all out and become incredible individualists.

To repeat, individuality supersedes everything, including gender (if you want it to be.)

Why do you say biological rather than cultural?

hmmm, never thought of that...

But haven't you questioned that unpredictable nature and "illogical actions" of women?

Don't you think that they do it because they can get away with it -ie, being a woman?

How much of that behavior is a result of nature, how much by nurture - and how much by them experiencing self-affirming reward, because men favorably respond with their own set of preconditioned behavior? Have you noticed the power that these unpredictable actions gain for those women?

That is what I am advocating against. If women choose to act this way men should not give in and try to appease them.

That is what I am advocating against. If women choose to act this way men should not give in and try to appease them.

I agree with you 100%. I think perhaps there is some confusion here between two different categories: that class of people that are "women" and that class of people who are "women that are potential partners" (i.e. you would actually have interest in dating them). My confusion is, why would the women who act the way you say they do ever fall into the second category? Wouldn't you just quit bothering with them and find a better one?

I believe this leads into my second point of confusion. We are presumably talking about people who an Objectivist or an Objectivist-leaning person would want as a life partner. Is that a group of people who is typical of the population at large? I think not. So perhaps a clarification of terms is in order. Is the OP upset that men at large don't meet her given expectations, or that men who would otherwise be suitable partners don't? It really seems to me that the problem is that the available men aren't suitable partners for a rational, egoistic woman, not that they fail to live up to some preconception of masculinity which may or may not be rationally founded.

Does this make any sense?

• 7 years later...
On 9/8/2011 at 1:16 AM, whYNOT said:

I agree this is the way most women (and men) present themselves; it is mostly for control and conformity, I think. It never has to be that way.

I'm learning a lot about your theory of men and women. It seems like you're saying that most are unpredictable and illogical on purpose, because it helps them gain power, control and conformity; and also that women do this "because they can get away with it, being a woman." What is it specifically about the female nature that lets them get away with being unpredictable and illogical, in your theory?

This being an old thread, maybe you have a different view of men and women now. If so, please let me know where I can find your latest theory. Thanks!