Objectivism Online Forum

Do you want to be the best in e-sports?

Rate this topic

crazybear

272561(0)-%5E480%5E319%5E.jpg

I'm a gamer and like sudden attack and starcraft 2. I read some news that Lately, Korean progamers are sweeping the awards in Major league gaming, North America Star league, intech extreme masters etc. They seem to be top in various games now. Many famous progamers are visiting to korea to challenge them. Most of star gamers receive top-notch treatment and salaries. So, it's quite difficult for them to begin again from the bottom in Korea. Now, they are quite struggling to win against korean progamers even in a ladder game not a real competition. Going to Korea is regarded by them as a required course. it's effect seem to be good for them. Some of people see that negatively. but I don't think, that is bad. As a gamer, I hope to improve my ability.

I know a guy who knows a guy that moved to South Korea to try to go pro. I don't think I'd want to be a pro. I play Starcraft 2 casually and worked my way to high Gold league on the North American servers. I got to the point where if I was to get any better I'd have to download pro matches for review, learn build orders (edit: learn other people's build orders), network with people to practice, etc. That started to sound less fun the more I thought about it. But I absolutely love the idea that gamers are sex symbols in South Korea, and I'd probably go to a tournament as a spectator if I was near one at the right time.

On a different note, we've got a relatively competitive collectible card game community in Green Bay (where I live). It's competitive considering how few people live in the area. Legend of the Five Rings, specifically, but there are lots of Magic, Yugioh and Pokemon tournaments here too.

Anyhow, my starcraft handle is Featherfall if anyone here wants to add me.

Edited by FeatherFall

I play Starcraft 2 casually and worked my way to high Gold league on the North American servers. I got to the point where if I was to get any better I'd have to download pro matches for review, learn build orders (edit: learn other people's build orders), network with people to practice, etc. That started to sound less fun the more I thought about it.

Anyhow, my starcraft handle is Featherfall if anyone here wants to add me.

I know what you mean. I'm top 10 in a Gold league right now just messing around with various things in 4v4. To get better I'd have to study other matches etc, as well as get a new right hand! (limited movement abilities with it). Mostly just a lot of work and time that I'm not willing go put into a game anymore (previously I played WoW - yikes!).

Watching pros would be really exciting though.

Don't care for Starcraft 2, but I love the Starcraft Brood War scene (Lee Jae-Dong rules). I got into it after I hit a dead end playing chess, actually.

I like the strategy aspect of it (I could discuss Brood War strategy for hours), but there's no point in trying to implement fine-tuned strategies without the actual skills. So I mostly just watch Korean Starcraft on youtube, and play stupid Call of Duty instead. I think I watch more Starcraft than baseball at this point. And that's saying something, 'cause I watch a lot of baseball.

Here's a quick illustration of how big this actually is in Korea:

battlenet104.jpg

Edited by Tanaka

• 2 weeks later...

I love gaming..

I do enjoy some *casual* competitive gaming if you will.

I have a death adder so I can be at least a little competitive in left 4 dead 2 and stuff.

One issue I have as someone who tries to play a bit competitively is I hate to be the guy making excuses as to why I lose and claim the other person is "hacking" in fact I never openly accuse people. I do *hate* when I have excellent ping, 60 fps going stead as a rock.

And The other team seems to be getting insanely "lucky" or doing things which just leave me asking questions. One example is I was running in ghost mode and even though I've seen people speedhack and literally move across the map in seconds.. The people I was competing against were able to run as fast as me in ghost mode meaning I couldn't for the life of me get ahead of them in time to reasonable spawn. Or in other cases I've watched people who can hear just a little too well....

It starts to take the fun out of competing when there is no ranking system.. So you can never tell if the other person is just really good.. or has some sort of unfair advantage..