Objectivism Online Forum

Who kept us safe after 9/11

Rate this topic

http://reason.com/archives/2011/09/08/who-really-kept-us-safe-after

While the title itself seems a bit silly (You really can't thank people for not blowing you up), the fact that is that after 9/11, there were very few legitimate domestic threats to our safety, so perhaps we should start putting that money into programs that really protect us, instead of ones that feed the culturally polarizing suspicion that even somewhat noticeable percentage of Muslims are out to hurt us. Muslims are just like Christian and any other religious people, there are a few wing nuts and a bunch of people who just got duped into believing there is an invisible man in the sky with rules for the way you ought to live your life.

From the comments, I like the idea of giving everyone on the plane wooden clubs to beat down potential hijackers.

I'd prefer it if the flight crew could lock themselves in the cockpit and fill the cabin with knockout gas, though I'm not sure what effect that would have on infants or the elderly.

I just tried to attach a bunch of pictures, relating to torture, the department of homeland security, police-state-esque photos of SWAT in APC's, department of transportation, x-ray body screenings, and more. But I got a message: 'this board does not support that image'. Eh, all that effort, but probably for the best; I was just being disagreeable.

the fact that is that after 9/11, there were very few legitimate domestic threats to our safety

That's not a fact, that's more of an opinion. A fact would define what constitutes a legitimate threat objectively, and then name the exact number of them.

I don't have that number available, but I do have some other facts. There's the fact that Muslims commit thousands of terror attacks every year. And then there's the fact that the groups behind those thousands of attacks (which result in many thousands of casualties) are all on the record saying that America is their main enemy.

Does it not follow, from those two facts, that there is an actual threat to Americans' safety?

the fact that is that after 9/11, there were very few legitimate domestic threats to our safety
...There's the fact that Muslims commit thousands of terror attacks every year....
Are you talking about domestic incidents? Edited by softwareNerd

Are you talking about domestic incidents?

I'm not talking about domestic incidents, but I might be talking about domestic threats, depending on the definition.

If 9/11 qualifies as a domestic incident, then I'm talking about domestic threats. If it doesn't, then never mind.

My ultimate point though is that if you're gonna place your faith in Al Qaeda's mercy, you might as well add Pat Robertson's prayers to the list. They're equally likely to keep us safe.

Edited by Tanaka

... if you’re gonna place your faith in Al Qaeda’s mercy, you might as well add Pat Robertson’s prayers to the list. They’re equally likely to keep us safe.

Straw man argument. No one here said have faith in a terrorist’s mercy.

If 9/11 qualifies as a domestic incident, then I’m talking about domestic threats.

This sounds as if we’re to conclude that Tanaka means there’ve been thousands of domestic “incidents” in the U.S. since 9/11, which is absurd if “incident” means anything serious.

There’ve been several FBI entrapment operations trumpeted as thwarted terrorist attacks. There’s been one utterly incompetent but apparaently genuine attack. Then there was the Underwear Bomber, in a class by itself. Instead of evidence of terrorist danger it’s evidence of our amazingly corrupt government. Again (I’ve mentioned it before), read what Kurt Haskell – a passenger on Flight 253 – has to say about it on his wife’s blog:

http://haskellfamily.blogspot.com/2010/09/why-underwear-bomber-trial-with.html

http://haskellfamily.blogspot.com/2010/12/christmas-day-one-year-later-underwear.html

http://haskellfamily.blogspot.com/search?q=umar

Edited by Mark2