Objectivism Online Forum

Is Obama intentionally destroying America?

Rate this topic

iflyboats

I used to think Barack Obama was just extremely ignorant and irrational, but today, I flipped through his book "The Audacity of Hope" for the first time, and I am deeply disturbed by some of the things he wrote. For example:

The result of this collective denial is the most precarious budget situation that we've seen in years. We not have an annual budget deficit of almost $300 billion, not counting more thatn $180 billion we borrow every year from the Social Security Trust Fund...

So far we've been able to get away with this mountain of debt because foreign central banks- particularly China's- want us to keep buying their exports. But this easy credit won't continue forever. At some point, foreigners will stop lending us money, interest rates will go up, and we will spend most of our nation's output paying them back.

In other words, he was clearly aware of how dangerous the deficit was even when it was MUCH smaller, and he clearly understands exactly what is going to happen when foreigners realize we can't pay out debts without debasing our currency. This suggests, to me, that he is not a well-intentioned liberal idiot, but an intelligent man who is deliberately raizing America to bring about misery and death.

Do you think my inference is tenable, and is this what Peikoff means when he calls Obama a nihilist?

Edited by iflyboats

I think he's been pretty clear about that intention from the beginning. ..

But, the Supreme Court never ventured into the issues of redistribution of wealth, and of more basic issues such as political and economic justice in the society. To that extent, as radical as I think people try to characterize the Warren Court, it wasn’t that radical. It didn’t break free from the essential constraints that were placed by the Founding Fathers in the Constitution, at least as its been interpreted and Warren Court interpreted in the same way, that generally the Constitution is a charter of negative liberties. Says what the states can’t do to you. Says what the federal government can’t do to you, but it doesn’t say what the federal government or state government must do on your behalf, and that hasn’t shifted and one of the, I think, the tragedies of the civil rights movement was because the civil rights movement became so court focused I think there was a tendency to lose track of the political and community organizing and activities on the ground that are able to put together the actual coalitions of powers through which you bring about redistributive change. In some ways we still suffer from that.
Edited by aequalsa

I used to think Barack Obama was just extremely ignorant and irrational, but today, I flipped through his book "The Audacity of Hope" for the first time, and I am deeply disturbed by some of the things he wrote. For example:

In other words, he was clearly aware of how dangerous the deficit was even when it was MUCH smaller, and he clearly understands exactly what is going to happen when foreigners realize we can't pay out debts without debasing our currency. This suggests, to me, that he is not a well-intentioned liberal idiot, but an intelligent man who is deliberately raizing America to bring about misery and death.

Do you think my inference is tenable, and is this what Peikoff means when he calls Obama a nihilist?

No and no. That selection you quoted looks like it could have come out of a Peter Schiff article, sure, but that doesn't mean Obama secretly agrees with Schiff, but just wants to do the opposite because he's evil. It's pretty clear that Obama's ideas of "fixing" things are different from ours, so it doesn't follow that he's intending to destroy America. Politicians say a lot of things to ingratiate themselves with voters, things that they don't necessarily agree with, or even have any idea what they mean, so consider that passage an unintentional truth-telling, if anything. Consider the fact that Obama also voted against raising the debt ceiling when the guy doing the spending was an R.

should be "razing," sorry

Yes.

I get tired of hearing people call him "stupid" and then have a laugh about he needs to learn "such and such" facts (particularly Christians who should be the last people on earth to throw the "stupid" stone). He doesn't care and he won't ever care. He's far worse than being "stupid". However I also don't mean to imply that he's some kind of Machiavellian evil genius scheming to bring about ruin. He is only cashing in on the huge amount of altruist and statist mentalities that have been sewn into people's minds for decades.

Yes.

I get tired of hearing people call him "stupid" and then have a laugh about he needs to learn "such and such" facts (particularly Christians who should be the last people on earth to throw the "stupid" stone). He doesn't care and he won't ever care. He's far worse than being "stupid". However I also don't mean to imply that he's some kind of Machiavellian evil genius scheming to bring about ruin. He is only cashing in on the huge amount of altruist and statist mentalities that have been sewn into people's minds for decades.

Well I am no conspiracy theorist but, I do feel safe in saying with all the money being so casually thrown around that it seems like it would in theory be very easy to pocket a decent portion without anyone noticing.

And I do think your right in one major factor, he doesn't have to be "out to destroy the country" to still plan to abuse a position of power and profit from it. It would be childish to believe he wants to destroy the country just for laughs, however that isn't to say that he doesn't have alterior motives that aren't in the countries best interest.

I believe that, in every way that matters, Obama is practicing Evil. He is attempting to destroy the values - rationality and capitalism - that created America, the quote about redistributing wealth like Atilla the Hun proves it.

One does not embrace Altruism innocently, it is a direct contradiction of Reality, a willful evasion on a massive scale.

Some trouble with this sort of question is that one is hard pressed to find someone who consciously, purposefully, with full admission, wishes to do evil. Hitler didn't want to do evil. Stalin didn't want to do evil. It happened though, as an ultimate effect of their misshapen values.

Obama may not want to destroy America either, but maybe he's a globalist who believes that for the rest of the world to do better, the US needs to consume less and the destruction of our economy is a way to accomplish that. Or maybe he believes that the injustice of 43 million Americans without healthcare is so great, that it trumps all of our negative liberties and even our overall economic well being.

The measure of a man can only be the effects of his actions. If what he does causes great evil, then he is greatly evil. Only large amounts of dishonesty allow them to evade the knowledge of the results of their actions, so what you are left with is either, that he is wretched, or he's dishonest. Probably, in his case, a fair amount of both.