Objectivism Online Forum

A hypothetical concerning the existence of 'viable' violence

Rate this topic

Jonny Glat

This is a hypothetical situation that I've been debating with a friend concerning whether initiating force is 'ever' viable. My friend gives the situation in which a college student who doesn't receive help from his parents financially learns that he has cancer. He doesn't have insurance and can't pay for the operations, chemo, and other services. He will die in several months unless he receives treatment.

The question: Is it viable in the long run to steal $50,000 from someone he doesn't know to pay for all the treatments that will 'most likely' allow him to survive for many years afterwards?

I have my reasons as to why its not viable in the long run but I'd like to get some feedback and quotes from Rand on why initiating force is irrational/not viable in this situation. Or is it?

Viable has several meanings according to context, Based on your description I think this one "Able to be done, possible" fits. Using this definition, its is certainly possible to steal $50000. I would think it is not as possible as finding a doctor and a hospital and some benefactors who would be willing to work things out.

But you might die anyway even after stealing the 50,000 and getting the treatment. Cancer is like that sometimes.

I would would say minor property crimes are justified if your life is at stake, but if you have to commit armed robbery that is no longer minor.

right - i thk what my friend was saying is that: there are sum instances in which it is viable to use force for the long run. If you don't rob the dude you will die from cancer in weeks. Therefore it is rational to steal 50,000 dollars to ensure that you have a long(er) life.

right - i thk what my friend was saying is that: there are sum instances in which it is viable to use force for the long run. If you don't rob the dude you will die from cancer in weeks. Therefore it is rational to steal 50,000 dollars to ensure that you have a long(er) life.

That is not for the long run, that is for the short term.

Long term thinking would consider if a long prison term is preferable to being dead.