Objectivism Online Forum

What is the O'ist perspective of the freemasons?

Rate this topic

Zoso

Free Capitalist,

You wrote: "In regards to Deism and creationism, I don't see how their belief in Creation can be compared in any way to the Christian notion. Their notion is completely compatible with evolution, with scientific carbon dating, etc. They utterly reject the Bible, and they'll never say the Earth was created 6,000 years ago. I doubt they'll even say the Earth was created at all, only that the Universe was created, and the Earth could have formed fully through laws of nature alone."

Well, if you're going to defend Deism, then I'll defend Christianity in this regard: not all Christians hold the positions you are accusing them of holding (a "young" earth; anti-evolution; etc)---except, of course, they don't reject the bible. It's very easy to argue against fundamentalist whackos, but don't make the mistake of assuming that all believe fundamentalism interpretations. I met a guy at a conference this past summer, a professor with a doctorate in physics, author of over forty books, who was also a Catholic priest.

Let me put it this way. I've met nice Christians as well, but there's nothing essentially different between their belief system and the fundamentalist belief system. It's just a matter of degree. So, while I will refrain from condemning individual Christians I will still make the judgment about their religion. Deism is different in kind, so while there might be bad Deists, I will still approve of the religion itself.

Free Capitalist,

I wasn't making any statements about their "niceness", I was making an assessment of the relative merits of their theology in regards to scientific truth. Fundies are different from, say, Thomists in that regard.

Anyway, I've been meaning to ask you: you apparently are a student of the Ancients. Although I have read some individual works (Aristotle, etc), do you have any recommendations for a broad overview of the history and philosophy of that era?