Objectivism Online Forum

Galaxy S vs i Phone 4S

Rate this topic

starmoon

iPhones are notorious for glass shatter when dropped. If you are prone to drop your phone, then don't but an iPhone. Having said that I think the Siri software is all kinds of awesome, but probably not enough of a practical pull to sustain market interest in the long term. The Galaxy S2 however is an all round excellent phone. Not only is it lightweight but is is durable and performs all the functions just as quick as the 4S with the added bonus of the Android marketplace that allows much more variety and cost effective applications.

Siri sounds great "on paper", but such technologies are rarely, if ever ,implemented in a way which is really all that useful in anything but a handful of situations ( though granted it usually is reasonably handy in those situations). Then there are all the implications of what sort of problems the use of this sort of technology can cause ( for instance, does it respond to your voice only or other background voices/noises ). Then there is the issue of whether it works nearly as well as advertised in real-world situations.

Usually these things dont and they make it *harder* to perform the sort of things it is alleged it exists to make easier. I hope Siri is one of the few examples of this sort of software actuallly being useful in all but maybe a handful of cases the average person cares about. I have not used it, so I do not pretend to know either way.

I think ASUK is probably correct in pointing out that the Galaxy S2 is objectively speaking a superior device overall in terms of hardware ( in relation to what most people actually care about ). It might have a slower CPU and it might not be as graphically capable ( I would have to check the specs of the Galaxy, do not remember them offhand), but this is not really all that important to most customers for either device. People that buy smart*phones* generally have hardware needs that are easy meet by *most* decent /good Android phones. I would not be that concerned about the CPU or graphical processor speed of most phones, it is generally its actual performance and usefulness that is the issue, and CPU and graphical processor speeds usually have relatively little impact on smartphones ( tablets are another matter, but we are not talking about them).

Not to mention that Android has a vast array of apps, many of which are arguably superior to Apple ones, depending on what you want from your software.

Still, the Apple offering is not too bad I guess....though I would not pay the price they are bound to charge me here in NZ.

Edited by Prometheus98876

Usually these things dont and they make it *harder* to perform the sort of things it is alleged it exists to make easier.

My experience with SIRI thus far is that this is unequivocally untrue. There are quite a few things that are MUCH easier to perform with SIRI. Setting reminders, alarms, timers, notes, meetings, basic web searches, texting, searches for the type of data on wolfram alpha, searching for nearby locations .... ALL easier with SIRI. SIRI has changed the way I use my iPhone in a very practical sense and I expect it will only improve.

Edited by RationalBiker

Having said that I think the Siri software is all kinds of awesome, but probably not enough of a practical pull to sustain market interest in the long term.

I disagree, but beside that particular point, the iPhone as a whole is sufficient to sustain market interest. Without being sarcastic, you have noticed that the last few iterations of the iPhone have done nothing but increase Apple's market presence in the mobile arena, right?

I'll mention that I may be particularly sensitive on this topic, perhaps Apple in general. For quite a while now, many people have argued the inferiority of Apple products while Apple has continued to increase sales in nearly all of its products. The iPhone was supposed to be a flop, the iPad was supposed to be a flop, etc. etc. Invariably, "tech heads" attribute this to Apple's marketing ability, NOT the idea that people are actually buying a product that they think best serves their uses. This gets old and Apple has (thus far) continued to show these folks the error of their thinking.

Prometheus, you suggest that most people are concerned with hardware specs, but I'm not convinced. I contend that must people are concerned with interface, ease of use, ease of interoperability, and other things that don't require them to be ubergeeks in order to use their device. Specs are a consideration on a very rudimentary level, but in my experience, the only people who really examine the hardware specs are those who are technically inclined to an above average level (ubergeeks).

I would offer that SIRI is potentially a game changer, if not in this iteration, then the next. It really is something you should experience before deciding its actual utility and practicality. The thing that distinguishes it from typical voice recognition/voice command is the presence of servers that "learn" or improve functionality over time as people use it more. The voice recognition is as accurate, if not moreso than any other I've seen and its ability to understand natural language is at times uncanny. Should SIRI catch on as much as I suspect, one article I read suggested that Android is probably two years out in catching up to SIRI technology.

Consider one example, though I could give many. You are driving into a new area and you are interested in Chinese food. In one instance you can pull over (or attempt to continue driving) while pulling up the map app and typing in "chinese" or "chinese restaurant" and then hitting search. Alternatively, you can just put the iPhone up to your ear and say, "I wanna eat Chinese" and get the same result. The may seem simple at first but it is much easier (and safer). Yes, there is a small degree of learning your voice, but I've found it to be very accurate when I dictate text messages to it. I can Tweet and update my Facebook status verbally just like I was dictating a text. The only thing that makes it "difficult" is simply not doing it the way I'm used to... typing out things, in other words breaking a habit.

This isn't even considering Apple's recent acquisition of mapping technology that may again separate it from its competitors.

Edited by RationalBiker

I'll mention that I may be particularly sensitive on this topic, perhaps Apple in general. For quite a while now, many people have argued the inferiority of Apple products while Apple has continued to increase sales in nearly all of its products. The iPhone was supposed to be a flop, the iPad was supposed to be a flop, etc. etc. Invariably, "tech heads" attribute this to Apple's marketing ability, NOT the idea that people are actually buying a product that they think best serves their uses. This gets old and Apple has (thus far) continued to show these folks the error of their thinking.

Prometheus, you suggest that most people are concerned with hardware specs, but I'm not convinced. I contend that must people are concerned with interface, ease of use, ease of interoperability, and other things that don't require them to be ubergeeks in order to use their device. Specs are a consideration on a very rudimentary level, but in my experience, the only people who really examine the hardware specs are those who are technically inclined to an above average level (ubergeeks).

I would offer that SIRI is potentially a game changer, if not in this iteration, then the next. It really is something you should experience before deciding its actual utility and practicality. The thing that distinguishes it from typical voice recognition/voice command is the presence of servers that "learn" or improve functionality over time as people use it more. The voice recognition is as accurate, if not moreso than any other I've seen and its ability to understand natural language is at times uncanny. Should SIRI catch on as much as I suspect, one article I read suggested that Android is probably two years out in catching up to SIRI technology.

Consider one example, though I could give many. You are driving into a new area and you are interested in Chinese food. In one instance you can pull over (or attempt to continue driving) while pulling up the map app and typing in "chinese" or "chinese restaurant" and then hitting search. Alternatively, you can just put the iPhone up to your ear and say, "I wanna eat Chinese" and get the same result. The may seem simple at first but it is much easier (and safer). Yes, there is a small degree of learning your voice, but I've found it to be very accurate when I dictate text messages to it. I can Tweet and update my Facebook status verbally just like I was dictating a text. The only thing that makes it "difficult" is simply not doing it the way I'm used to... typing out things, in other words breaking a habit.

This isn't even considering Apple's recent acquisition of mapping technology that may again separate it from its competitors.

Ok, I grant Siri may or may not work a lot better than other similar software applications. All I know is that these things can be problematic and that some people seem to think it does not work that well. *shrug* . Lets say that perhaps their reports may be misleading to some extent, I dont know. If it does indeed work as well as you seem to think / suggest : Great, Apple have done a good job and in this case it cannot have been easy.

No, I do not seem to suggest most people are concerned with hardware specs. Only that some / many I have seen *are*, even though for most people it does not really matter too much ( yes for some it does matter more, I concede that). I do agree that the other things you mention are more important generally, even if I do not personally agree Apple does all of that stuff in the best way for what I want.

Though, I am fairly sure you can at least try all of those things on software available on Android etc. I could not say how well it actualy works though, as really I have no need for such features generally. If you do though and Siri does what you want, that is great. Maybe the Android versions woudlnt work so well, I dont know for sure either way.

I dont know what this complaining about "people not buying what they need" is about exactly and why you bothered mentioning it gets "old". I said not everyone necceasirly needs phones with really fast processors etc. I did not accuse anyone in particular of not buying according to what they need, though I did imply it does / can happen. So what is your point exactly?

And unless I am behind : Apple is still outsold by Android at the moment anyway. This is not really a judgement upon Apple or anything, but it is a fact, unless I am mistaken as I said. Though I do think it probably suggests Android may be more in line with what more people want.

Also none of this is an attack on Apple or me saying "Apple sucks", or "dont buy Apple stuff". Quite the contrary : If Apple offers what you care about / need at the right price : Go for it. I just do not really care for their offerings much myself, not at the prices *I* have to pay. Nor do a lot of Android users and other people. Though how many of them are making well informed / rational choices : I could not be too certain. But how many Apple users are much better? Couldnt say that either.

I dont know what this complaining about "people not buying what they need" is about exactly and why you bothered mentioning it gets "old". I said not everyone necceasirly needs phones with really fast processors etc. I did not accuse anyone in particular of not buying according to what they need, though I did imply it does / can happen. So what is your point exactly?

That was a general comment and not directed at you or anyone specifically. I only addressed your comments starting in the second paragraph when I mentioned you by name. Other than that, I think the point was self-explanatory.

If it does indeed work as well as you seem to think / suggest : Great, Apple have done a good job and in this case it cannot have been easy.

Well, the great job Apple did was buying the company that had already created SIRI. I think they had the "vision" to see how this could be used effectively and in a way that is integrated "seamlessly" into the operation of the phone. My larger point is that I think it one those things an individual should experience before they derive an opinion positive or negative. That is precisely because of what you said to begin with; many times such technology hasn't been implemented in a way that actually makes things easier which I think tends to cause skepticism about that next offering when it comes along with all its promises. Apple refers to SIRI as being in Beta, but it's pretty damn solid for a Beta implementation.

And unless I am behind : Apple is still outsold by Android at the moment anyway.

Third quarter sales have put Samsung back on top, with Apple in second. Prior to that, Apple was in the number one spot. However, this does not include the sales of the new 4S, which was not introduced in time for 3rd quarter sales figures. We'll get to see the 4S' impact next quarter I suppose.

Though how many of them are making well informed / rational choices : I could not be too certain. But how many Apple users are much better? Couldnt say that either.

Agreed. Speculating en masse who is or isn't making rational smartphone purchases requires an amount of data that simply isn't present.

Edited by RationalBiker

Hhm, I think the Android sale figures were for Anroid devieces in general, not specifically Samsung Android. Though how fair is this really, when Android is available on a hell of a lot of different hardware platforms, from hundredsof venders. But in any case , was not aware that for whatever reasons Samsung alone be ahead. Interesting to see how the 4S will change either comparison though.

Ironically I just wish my (much more primitive) phone had a voice command to get it out of voice command mode.  The number of times I've accidentally bumped whichever button it is that gets it INTO voice mode and didn't realize it until I heard "Please wait... please say a command" is large, and "Buzz off" "Go away" or more colorful equivalents don't work.  I have to pull the thing out and manually switch it off.  It's supposed to be more convenient, isn't it, yet I would love to have words with the guy who designed it.

Surely Apple did a better job than this.

PS The posting options are broken, again. I had to de-HTML this when I edited it, and that's after having to go to "more reply options" because the "post" button was broken, AND all the format buttons are missing AND it took ten minutes to finish loading over a connection that wasn't being taxed. Can we go back to the old version of the software?

Edited by Steve D'Ippolito

I disagree, but beside that particular point, the iPhone as a whole is sufficient to sustain market interest. Without being sarcastic, you have noticed that the last few iterations of the iPhone have done nothing but increase Apple's market presence in the mobile arena, right?

The speed at which this market is going forward, there are better handsets out there already (not factoring in the Siri software of course). Whether that effects iPhone sales or not is a different matter altogether. Having an iPhone or indeed any Apple device has become a 'status symbol' in our cultures and this factor certainly has an impact upon sales. This claim can be backed up by the fact that a surge in iPhone 3GS sales occurred after the launch of the 4S. Brand awareness and marketing has a huge impact on the mobile phone market. That is not to say that Apple products are not good, they are, but if one studies the alternatives it is not difficult to identify devices that out-perform them and provide much the same functions and improved functions as well as design for a lower price. The Siri software is however very impressive and innovative and I think that it is on of the sole benefits of owning an iPhone 4S when comparing the specifications and functionality to other handsets in that range, especially the Galaxy S2.

The Siri software is however very impressive and innovative and I think that it is on of the sole benefits of owning an iPhone 4S when comparing the specifications and functionality to other handsets in that range, especially the Galaxy S2.

Arguably, the 4S camera is also one of the best, if not the best, current phone camera. The 1080p video is also impressive. Other benefits beyond that depend on how much other Apple hardware you have in your overall tech ecosystem. Now, I don't know what the specs say on battery strength, but I've noticed that most of the people I see with Android phones where I work spend a considerable amount of time tethered to their power supply, more often than I need to be with my iPhone. Although a matter of preferences perhaps, some reviews suggest that iPhones are more intuitive to use versus the Android being more complex and flexible. So SIRI is not the sole benefit for owning an iPhone. The story of which phone is better to any given user is not solely determined by "the specs".

Having an iPhone or indeed any Apple device has become a 'status symbol' in our cultures and this factor certainly has an impact upon sales. This claim can be backed up by the fact that a surge in iPhone 3GS sales occurred after the launch of the 4S.

Would you elaborate on why that necessarily supports the claim?

I'm thinking this offers a much simpler explanation for increased 3gs sales rather than the "status symbol" factor.

Arguably, the 4S camera is also one of the best, if not the best, current phone camera. The 1080p video is also impressive. Other benefits beyond that depend on how much other Apple hardware you have in your overall tech ecosystem. Now, I don't know what the specs say on battery strength, but I've noticed that most of the people I see with Android phones where I work spend a considerable amount of time tethered to their power supply, more often than I need to be with my iPhone. Although a matter of preferences perhaps, some reviews suggest that iPhones are more intuitive to use versus the Android being more complex and flexible. So SIRI is not the sole benefit for owning an iPhone. The story of which phone is better to any given user is not solely determined by "the specs".

The camera is supposed to be excellent, I agree, but there is much competition in that department from many other handsets. As far as the Apple eco-system (I am guessing you are thinking cloud computing, iPad and synchronization) then that is as far as I know a unique feature of Apple products at the moment (but that will change rapidly no doubt). As far as battery life, there have been reports that it is not so good on the 4S at the moment. As far as other features and specs are concerned, of course its a matter of which ones for different users preferences, but lets not ignore the fact that the better specs in general and the better features and apps in general, the better phone it is 'all round'. This is what you see on the market now anyways, the mobile phone is now vying to be all things to all users.....that is what is driving the innovation.

BTW I didn;t say that Siri was 'the sole' benefit of the 4S, I said it was 'one of the sole benefits'. Thats bad english I know.....but still.....I meant it as one of the benefits that is unique to the handset.

Edited by ASUK

1080p videoi camera? Meh, this sounds like more a gimmick than a camera resolution most potential customers have any real use for. Granted some people will find this pretty handy though for whatever reason, and that is great news for them.

As for Android phone battery life : This varies. Different models of Android phones have better or worse batteries. Some batteries are not so good, while the ones used by some devices last ages and some apparently outlast iPhone batteries. It is really depends on the manufacturer and I think Android itself has little real influence ( unless the software itself is somehow wasteful of the battery in some way I am not aware of ).

Also, dont forget that how long your battery lasts between charges depends * a lot* on how you *use* your phone. Maybe you do not use your iPhone for as many battery draining t hings as these people you are hearing about, for all I know. This is why proffessional reviewers do the same tests , doing the same thing each time, when testing battery life. They usually watch videos and such until it runs out. But whatever it is, the point is to perform repeatable tests that give a fair comparision between the real-world battery life of various devices. Though some of them will also test it not using video and more like what they think the average user wil do with it, possibly giving a figure which matches how long many can expect the battery to last.

Hell, even the condition of the battery can have a big influence on how long you can go between charges. Batteries of this type hold less charge as the battery starts to wear out, and *heat* wears these types of batteries out. Guess what heats the battery? Using it and even just charging it. Leaving your phone plugged into the charger for too long can make your battery wear out much faster for instance, also resulting in reduced charge capacity.

So yeah, might want to be careful when comparting the battery life of these devices.

1080p videoi camera? Meh, this sounds like more a gimmick than a camera resolution most potential customers have any real use for. Granted some people will find this pretty handy though for whatever reason, and that is great news for them.

A gimmick?

Rather than argue the many uses of having video recording capabilities (preferably with decent quality) handily present on a phone, let me provide a link to a clip shot with the 4S and you can judge if this is "gimmick" quality video.

http://embed.shortform.com/oceanguy/techproducts/iphone-4s-raw-video-footage-1080p

Be sure to set the player's resolution to 1080 and go full screen to get the full appreciation of the quality of this video.

Maybe you do not use your iPhone for as many battery draining t hings as these people you are hearing about, for all I know

Fair enough, you can dismiss my anecdotal evidence.... but I don't have to. It's always difficult to accept someone else's experiences in place of you own.

Edited by RationalBiker

and the better features and apps in general, the better phone it is 'all round'.

As far as better features, I'm haven't seen that established yet. Likewise, I'm not prepared to argue one way or the other as to which app store has better apps. I recognize that as your claim, but I'm not seeing the evidence. This article suggests otherwise at the current time.

Additionally, there have been reports that Android phones are more susceptible to malware, viruses and hacking because of the open source nature.

Surely Apple did a better job than this.

Mine has yet to turn on accidentally, You either have to press the home button and hold it a second or so to activate SIRI, or you simply put the phone up to your ear and the proximity sensor will activate SIRI. My one complaint here, and it isn't really anything to do with SIRI, is that the proximity sensor doesn't always detect the first time. It doesn't happen a lot, but enough to notice. This may be something that can be adjusted by firmware or software.

A gimmick?

Rather than argue the many uses of having video recording capabilities (preferably with decent quality) handily present on a phone, let me provide a link to a clip shot with the 4S and you can judge if this is "gimmick" quality video.

http://embed.shortfo...o-footage-1080p

Be sure to set the player's resolution to 1080 and go full screen to get the full appreciation of the quality of this video.

Fair enough, you can dismiss my anecdotal evidence.... but I don't have to. It's always difficult to accept someone else's experiences in place of you own.

I did not say it had a gimmicky quaity. In fact, it probably looks great I did however imply that 1080p is probably something far in excess of what most potential customers want or necceasirly need from their iPhone. Especially as I doubt many people would gain much benefit over 720p, which still allows for really great videos I would think. Maybe this is more valued than I realize, but I am struggling to see why many people woulde care that much when 720p seems as though it would give people what they wanted already.

What " anectedoal evidence"? You did not give any, you just made vague comparative statements about battery life. You gave me completely insufficent reason to make much of a useful conclusion.

As for why Android has more malware currently on it : Its not that it is Open Source as such. It has more to do with the fact it has a significantly larger market share, sol more people bother creating malware for it. EVen Mac OS X would be drowning in malware if enough creators of such things cared ( especially as pre Lion anwyay, the OS is horribly insecure anyway). In any case, I have seen no definite evidence to support whether Android or Apple phones are more or less vulnerable to such. Only that more has been createde on one of the platforms. Even if the Android is more vulnerable : This is moot if you practise sensible web surfiing / app installiont policies etc. Not a singlee Android user I have heard of that uses their phone in this manner has ever had an issue. Just as I never get malware on my computer.

I dont see how the link really proves the Apple App Store is better. it is kind of vague in places and does not really explain the criteria used in sufficent depth. Though sure, stuff comes out first ande the author thinks it is more polished. Maybe Android has apps which more people will find more useful though? The article does not really say much of much use. Not having tried the Apple App Store, I would certainly not wish to venture a definite opinion.

Even if the Android is more vulnerable : This is moot if you practise sensible web surfiing / app installiont policies etc.

But this would be a rationalization. "Better" would mean that the user has less concern regardless of their surfing practices.

I never said it was evidence. It is pretty clear that I think the Android App store is better for what *I* and many other pepole want to use it for . Or it not better, at least of sufficent quality for this not to be a very big issue.

It would not be a rationalization. It would the the recoginition of the that fact that even *if* it has the issue you accuse it of, that it does not really mattter [much[ if you use tthe thing wisely. You say you wont drop the iPhone. Shall I accuse you of retaionaliziing cause you seem think that an alleged ( and actually demonstrated) weakness ( ie the fact that it is clearly more physically fragile in some respects ) is something you have no reason to be very concerned about?

Shall I accuse you of retaionaliziing cause you seem think that an alleged ( and actually demonstrated) weakness ( ie the fact that it is clearly more physically fragile in some respects ) is something you have no reason to be very concerned about?

The distinction is that i didn't claim fragility was a moot point. I simply said I'm not going to drop MY phone. Susceptibility to malware and viruses IS a weakness of the Android platform when compared to the iPhone just as fragility is a weakness when comparing the iPhone to the Android platform. NEITHER point is moot. The other difference is that my larger point was I'm not going to base my cell phone purchase simply on a drop test and nothing else which could be inferred from the OP's post.

I never said it was evidence.

Nor did I say the linked article constituted proof of the superiority of the Apple App store yet you seem to have taken it that I did. So each of us keeps talking past each other's points.