Objectivism Online Forum

Ayn Rand's ghost, real or a sophisticated prank?

Rate this topic

and you find it pure chance "dreamspirit" chose that day to publish a year old dumb article

?

Apparently you didn't read her multiple replies explaining that she is serious. And you'll note that before she explained that she was serious, people rightly assumed she was joking.

Edited by brian0918

Yeah, it is pretty strange that lots of people on *this* forum of all places woud respond to an extremely bizarre thread like this .

Yes, that was my point, but add to that, the fact that someone took the trouble to move the thread, not to "overcoming superstition", or "deciding whether the OP's a troll" or at the very least the already existing section of "Psychology"; but instead to US Domestic Policy.

I tremble to think that strange apparitions influence U.S. Domestic Policy. Maybe there IS a ghost here- not of the metaphysical variety.

re/brian; not joking, just the fact that "she" was the same user who felt somehow prosecuted for being slavic in a white town... and for being bullied at 13.

It's just disturbing that ghostbusting is taken this seriously while my threads are pretty much ignored.

shadenfreude much or am I being funny in some other way...
I find it funny that you're primarily responsible for the length of a thread you'd like to see shorter. There are contexts where navel gazing just falls flat, or creates even more self-conscious awkwardness. The woman who complains to her spouse that he needs to love her more will seldom get love that way!

so much for a benevolent and curious sense of life... ...
Check your premises. It is you who are making assumptions about what is going on in people's minds when they read your thread and when they read others. Long-distance, those assumptions don't seem particularly benevolent. As you give, so shalt thou receive!

And now, this thread has 30 posts!

barbaa streissand effect, i knew it was going to happen, but the thread was already long, that was the point.

how blatant superstition is taken so seriously (to the point of debunking the ghost of Ayn Rand (!)) but the more slightly controversial aspects of the real person, Ayn Rand, are treated somewhat as taboo.

Yes, that was my point, but add to that, the fact that someone took the trouble to move the thread, not to "overcoming superstition", or "deciding whether the OP's a troll" or at the very least the already existing section of "Psychology"; but instead to US Domestic Policy.

I tremble to think that strange apparitions influence U.S. Domestic Policy. Maybe there IS a ghost here- not of the metaphysical variety.

re/brian; not joking, just the fact that "she" was the same user who felt somehow prosecuted for being slavic in a white town... and for being bullied at 13.

It's just disturbing that ghostbusting is taken this seriously while my threads are pretty much ignored.

I was being sarcastic, obviously.

What do those other things she was worried about have to do with this? So she has other *possible* insecurities or something? That just proves that maybe there is a trend here or or something I guess ( I am not commenting either way). Not that the number of replies here is weird.

Ah yes, your "aspects" of Ayn Rand. Maybe it is just possible that at this point we do not have a lot of reason to take you seriously. At least while DreamSpirit might be confused on a number of issues, she has ( at least in my opinion and I guess in the opinion of some others here ) seemed to make some effort to understand things said to her and to think rationally about them.

Anyway, I think I am done with making this even longer.

Please excuse me if I came across that googling some stuff and was so shocked by its strangeness that I started becoming delusional :(

I was looking up ghost stories to tease my younger cousin with, and I had been looking up stuff about ayn rand before and somehow ghost and Ayn Rand got grouped together and that came up. I wondered what the other members on here would think of it, so I decided to start a thread about it. Some things I post on here are trolling attempts, but mostly not.

Btw my username is a reference to having "spunk" or "spirit" to achieve your "dream" career which in todays society is called that because it is thought of as unrealistic to do what you want in life rather than having a practical, secure job. I don't know, I just made it up. I didn't in any way mean it to be a reference to "Spirits" in buddhism or whatever lol. You would know I'm not a mystic in real life, I'm a perfectly normal person, I'm just fascinated with paranormal stuff and don't have a lot of time to post about topics objectivists would normally like to discuss because I'm always reading and doing other things and it's like preaching to the choir. I like talking about the paranormal with more rational people because there are no religious nuts and people like that to sidetrack the conversation with their silliness.

Edited by Dreamspirit

Some things I post on here are trolling attempts, but mostly not.

Why would any of your posts be trolling attempts? Trolling shows a pretty fundamental lack of respect for the members of a community.

Why would any of your posts be trolling attempts? Trolling shows a pretty fundamental lack of respect for the members of a community.

Well, I like what I feel are TRULY rational people, but I feel some on here are just trying really hard to be elitist and are actually not rational at all. Most of what I see in that regard is hipocrasy and personal slants. I feel like I really understand Ayn Rand, growing up around incompetence in a vicious plague of irrationality and searching for truth. I had a lot of the same passion for greatness and commitment to morality as her before I even knew her philosophy existed. And when I say feel I don't mean going by emotions, I mean integrating all my experiences and what I know about the world and having a feeling of disgust or dread from that.

Edited by Dreamspirit