Objectivism Online Forum

What is Capital stock? How to calculate it?

Rate this topic

Infinity7

This question is not that straightforward as you assumed and this is not for homework - I graduated 5 years ago.

I googled already and visited these wikipedia pages. Unfortunatelly they don't contain the definition of Capital Stock.

If you believe they have the definition, could you please just copy it here?

Capital stock, according to investopedia, is the total amount of stock issued.

But in the case of this formula, a quick Google looks like people use this formula with all kinds of capital. So, you can get real broad and use a basic economics definition, or you can get specific and use just a certain type of capital. If you're using it on a whole country, you'd have to check how the capital measurement is calculated, what it is based on in real life.

Capital in a production function does not refer to financial capital such as equity and bonds but rather physical capital such as land, plants, machinery, etc. A production function models how physical capital is combined with labor to produce physical output. Physical capital itself is notoriously hard for economists to quantify and calculate. It is difficult to valuate the capital in use by a company, quantify depreciation of capital, etc. There are forms of capital that are sometimes relevant but are nonphysical, such as reputational capital. It's one of the most difficult issues in empirical economics. If you're further interested, here is a link with probably more than you ever wanted to know on the subject: http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/16/16/43734711.pdf

"Jesus H. Christ, by the time the reply box comes up I've forgotten what I was going to write. This site is buggy as hell nowadays."

Amen! It's quite frustrating. The issue seems to be the reply module (or whatever it's called, "object"?). It takes minutes to load, and then for me most of the time it does not load properly (I do not see or have access to all of the edit-format buttons, etc., and I see a lot of code for paragraphs and line breaks), and when I do reply, all of my returns are deleted and the reply becomes one run-on paragraph - unless I can figure out how to insert the proper code. If I choose to preview my message, again I have to wait minutes for the reply module to load.

Absolutely too frustrating.

Well, I was being facetious with my halitosis comment.

I have discussed the problems I've been having with softwareNerd, and he's been very helpful and responsive.

There doesn't seem to be much he or any administrator can do about the problem, and although sN informed me that David recently installed a new upgrade, hoping that it would make things better (it did not), my problems still exist, both the problem with the reply module as well as numerous cloudflare errors, pages not loading but stating that there's a cloudflare error or problem (no cached page for the one I'm trying to load, or something like that).

I have no complaint, only appreciation, for the help that I've gotten. Thank you, softwareNerd and any others working to resolve the problems, for your efforts. Hopefully in short order things will get better.

Edited by Trebor

I am glad to hear that the last part of my little rant there proved to be ...well just a rant I guess :) Whatever the reasons for these bugs are : Lets hope someone figures something out. Did they say anything about whether the themes might be partially to blame? It might be something they should consider...

Someone (JASKN) suggested to me that I might find it helpful to switch to the IP.Board Mobile theme, but that didn't help. I did notice that, for me at least, there are now only two themes: IP.Board and IP.Board Mobile. I guess that someone assumed (or discovered) that there was some problem caused by the themes and deleted the others, but it's only a guess.

Within the last week, roughly, David apparently installed an upgrade, and softwareNerd took the trouble to send me a notice (I got an email message) letting me know that David had done so and that hopefully it would clear up the troubles I have been having. It did not. Can't say that it definitely changed anything, but things are either the same or even a bit worse.

About 90% of the time the reply module simply doesn't work properly. When it does, suddenly start working properly (never, I think, when I first log in), I'm surprised. But even then it will stop working properly in short order. What should take moments to do - post a reply - now takes an indefinite amount of time. It's certainly quite frustrating.

(Right now, trying to enter a reply, for example, using the quick reply box at the bottom of this thread, the "Post" button does nothing. I have to use the "More Reply Options" and yet, once there, the problems continue.)

Also, if I remember correctly, sN once told me that David had shut off the Cloudflare feature and that seemed to have cleared things up. I'm not certain about this though. Regardless, the problems returned. (Perhaps when David turned it back on. I don't really understand just what Cloudflare does, but I guess it has some great advantage and works well for most people - seems that a minority is having these problems.) It certainly seems related to the reply module thingy. It simply doesn't load fully or act appropriately or consistently. Maybe it's trying to use it from cache (Cloudflare)? Just guessing. All that seems certain about the trouble to me is that it's the reply module itself that's not functioning properly.

One thing I've noticed: When I get the Cloudflare errors, it happens after sometime, even a couple of minutes, of waiting for a page to load (a thread page, not my having selected to reply), and that's the typical indication of trouble with the reply module, a long wait with, on my Mac, a rotating indicator. When I see that I'm having to wait, I know that things are not working correctly. Even when they are, or seem to be working correctly, suddenly I'll have to wait again, like when I select to "Preview" a reply before posting it. All will seem well, but then suddenly the long wait followed by the eventual failure of the reply module.

Edited by Trebor

Since this discussion is still here, I thought I would inform those reading this that softwareNerd informed me awhile ago that he was going to shut off, or down, Cloudflare and leave it off for a couple of days. Those who have been having problems with the forum can then determine if there's a difference, if the problems have gone away.

Perhaps I'm overly hopeful, but for me everything now seems fine. The reply module loads quickly and fully and seems to function appropriately. How enjoyable the difference.

In answer to Prometheus--Yes, I PMed David quite some time... and he asked me what software was running and I told him; after that I heard nothing. I've since seen people gripe about it from time to time but no apparent action or response, and there were no replies in the thread having to do with the forum upgrade. (A simple "we are working on it but it's a cast iron bitch" would have been reassuring.)

For me the problem is intermittent--sometimes things load quickly, other times I watch the thing sit and spin for 10-15 minutes, with no throughput on my connection, waiting for the reply thing to load. And when it finally does, it's often non-functional... hitting the "Post" button does nothing, but "More Reply Options" MAY work (after a couple of minutes) or it MAY give you your draft with a bunch of HTML fishfood in it.

At least, it has been a while since last I got an error that said cloudflare was having a problem.

Capital in a production function does not refer to financial capital such as equity and bonds but rather physical capital such as land, plants, machinery, etc.  A production function models how physical capital is combined with labor to produce physical output.  Physical capital itself is notoriously hard for economists to quantify and calculate.  It is difficult to valuate the capital in use by a company, quantify depreciation of capital, etc.  There are forms of capital that are sometimes relevant but are nonphysical, such as reputational capital.  It's one of the most difficult issues in empirical economics.  If you're further interested, here is a link with probably more than you ever wanted to know on the subject: http://www.oecd.org/...16/43734711.pdf

Thanks a lot for this reply! "It's one of the most difficult issues in empirical economics." - this is what I suspected when I made this post. The link to the document you gave explained a lot!

Anyway, here's the link I was planning to share:

http://reason.com/ar...wealthier-world

I read this research 5 years ago (2005 version). The concept is great, though as they measure that number once in 5 years and so far we have 2-3 data points, it's quite difficult to use it in empirical research.

Capital stock, according to investopedia, is the total amount of stock issued.

But in the case of this formula, a quick Google looks like people use this formula with all kinds of capital. So, you can get real broad and use a basic economics definition, or you can get specific and use just a certain type of capital. If you're using it on a whole country, you'd have to check how the capital measurement is calculated, what it is based on in real life.

Now I see that you even didn't understand the question! There is capital stock term which is an accounting term and it relates to a company (this is what you assumed) and there is capital stock which relates to macroeconomics (which is what I asked about). Cobb-Douglas told you nothing. Why bother to comment and send useless links to Wikipedia? It turned out this forum has enough knowledgeable members.

Now I see that you even didn't understand the question! There is capital stock term which is an accounting term and it relates to a company (this is what you assumed) and there is capital stock which relates to macroeconomics (which is what I asked about). Cobb-Douglas told you nothing. Why bother to comment and send useless links to Wikipedia? It turned out this forum has enough knowledgeable members.

I guess it just wasn't clear enough to you that I *was* talking about two different kinds of "capital." Though I had never heard of Cobb-Douglas, a quick Google search still gave me the right answer, which is more than it did for you, if you even searched for yourself at all. Dante's answer was more robust, but the thrust was in the same direction.

Why bother replying to what I wrote if it is only to insult the efforts you weren't even willing to put forth yourself? Why would someone try to help you in the future once you set this precedent?