Objectivism Online Forum

"An Introduction to Logic" by H.W.B. Joseph

I recently came across this question on Objectivist Answers, where the answer referenced this book found at The Ayn Rand Bookstore which can also be obtained here from books.google.com.

While I am far from being 'an advanced student of logic', objectivity does require a rudimentary understanding of the subject. When I check my mental toolbox to identify what I have to work with, 'A is A' in conjunction with some basic algebra and a strong background in descriptive geometry is there to be utilized.

I see this book is touched upon in the premium forum section here.at OO. Three chapters into the book, and I am already back tracking. Burgess Laughlin suggests explicitly identifying the purpose [of reading] for the best approach.

When I reached the section on the types predicates, the initial categories were Aristotle's, listed as substance, quality, quantity, relation, place, time, situation, state, activity, and passivity.

My initial approach was to try and correlate these with Miss Rands conceptual categories of concept of entity, concept of action, concept of attribute, preposition, etc.

At first, substance seemed to go with concepts of entities. Later, substance was used with concepts of materials. Relation, place and time have elements of preposition within them. Situation and state left me back tracking to try and find something I may have missed.

In part, I think I want to understand logic better in order to identify how it is applied within ITOE, and to also understand how ITOE can facilitate a better understanding of logic overall. At the same time, I wonder if I am not just over-micro-analyzing this stuff and not really "getting it". Is there another way to approach this without trying to organize it piecemeal from the web?