Objectivism Online Forum

Why bother studying philosophy?

Rate this topic

Ok guys remind me again what's the point of this thread? Other than the interesting discussion with Inspector, which was actually off topic anyways?

That's a good question. I just figured that this would be a good place to jump in and get my feet wet. I think it's really just a word salad. I am moving on as the blue cheese is so deep that it is coming over the top of my boots and beginning to discolor my socks....or is it ranch?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Philosophy provides the structure by which one approaches the problem.

Consider science.

The scientific method requires one specify certain things before science can procede:

1. What exactly constitutes a scientific observation

2. How one analyzes data

3. How one extracts a result from the data set

4. How one establishes confidence in the data set

etc.

These are fundamentally philosophical questions which are prior to scientific inquiry.

Philosophy provides the structure by which one approaches the problem.

Consider science.

The scientific method requires one specify certain things before science can procede:

1.  What exactly constitutes a scientific observation

2.  How one analyzes data

3.  How one extracts a result from the data set

4.  How one establishes confidence in the data set

etc.

These are fundamentally philosophical questions which are prior to scientific inquiry.

Thanks punk. 'Looks like you have things well in hand.

• 2 weeks later...
After thinking about the arguments in this thread, I have realized that in fact some choices (such as what flavor of ice cream to have) are optional.

Here is what I am wrestling with: What is the most concise "formula" for deciding when a particular issue is optional or an ethical decision?

A choice is optional when ... ?

Here is what I am wrestling with: What is the most concise "formula" for deciding when a particular issue is optional or an ethical decision?

But the "optional" is not opposed to the "ethical."

... when there are two or more alternatives, each consistent with the fundamental values that you hold. So, for instance, in Objectivism, productivity is not an optional choice, but the choice of one's productive career is optional, within a range of appropriate values and considerations.

I have been wrestling with the same issue.

The best solution I could come up with is that an issue or choice is optional when the outcome will not impact any of one's core values in any meaningful way.