Objectivism Online Forum

I Love Money

Rate this topic

Thor

Always have and always will.

Ever since I was a child, I had always wanted to have a treasure chest, full of silver and gold and other treasure.

I officially started to make that childhood dream come true when I was nineteen, by accident... I bought a bottle of soda from a machine and when the machine spit out my change, I noticed something very different about a dime that fell into my hand. The tone of the metal was quite different from other dimes and I guessed that that particular dime might have been made of real silver. I guessed right. Thus my love affair with silver and my passion for real money began. I bought a small safe and put my silver dime in it and started collecting. I've been doing it ever since.

These days, we are seeing a lot of talk on how silver and gold are now too expensive and that one should start buying copper instead. Nonsense. Silver is still the best bang for the buck and at less than forty FRN per toz it is still very inexpensive to get into. I highly recommend you get into it -- and ASAP. If you don't do it now, at low, low price, you'll just end up doing it at one-hundred, two-hundred and even five-hundred -- and more -- per toz.

And with spreads of up to six-hundred percent, it is going to be very difficult to make money with copper. Don't fall for the copper trap that is now springing up to catch the unaware and uneducated...

... Ok, so you still have your heart set on copper, the best way to get it is to start finding these abandoned houses and buildings we now have all over the United States. They are full of raw copper wires. For a little physical exertion you could potentially make yourself some money with very little or nothing to lose. Some folks used to do it at the constructions sites, scavenging for copper pipe and wire out of dumpsters and what-have-you, but these days construction sites are few and far between and the ones that do exist are much better guarded than construction sites used to be.

Don't buy copper bullion. It is a waste of time.

Of course we are not a society of money any longer, but a society of debt and usury. We have irresponsibly abandoned our Constitution and our Constitutional money by placing the creation of our money supply into the hands of secretive, private interests who have long ago sold us down the road.

"Those pieces of paper you have in your wallet -- which should have been gold..." -- Ayn Rand

"Those pieces of paper you have in your wallet"... aren't paper and they aren't money. They are debt, fraud, usury. Yes, they should have been gold -- or in my case -- silver!

HA! Buy some silver today! One ounce rounds are the best way to buy.

Once our economy comes to its inevitable crash, those who own silver will be much, much better off than those who don't!

Besides, owning precious metals is such an incredibly wonderful feeling! HA! Just do it!

My brother and I used to banter back and forth in the back seat on long trips as kids. I recall one trip we were trying to decide just how much money we wanted to have when we grew up. Eventually, one-up-man-ship brought us to the inevitable - I want to have *all* the money in the world. I remember my mom interjecting at that point: "If you had *all* the money in the world, what do you suppose would happen when everyone else discovered where it had gotten off to?"

While copper, silver and gold are commodities, pork bellies, orange juice and coffee have also provided avenues for wealth to those who prudently act on the understandings they have garnished over the years. Study what goes on during an economic collapse, you may discover that the silver you acquired will trickle out at a rate much faster than you anticipated in the pursuit of those goods required for survival. While money certainly makes trade easier, is that the sole source of wealth you desire to be surrounded by?

My brother and I used to banter back and forth in the back seat on long trips as kids. I recall one trip we were trying to decide just how much money we wanted to have when we grew up. Eventually, one-up-man-ship brought us to the inevitable - I want to have *all* the money in the world. I remember my mom interjecting at that point: "If you had *all* the money in the world, what do you suppose would happen when everyone else discovered where it had gotten off to?"

While copper, silver and gold are commodities, pork bellies, orange juice and coffee have also provided avenues for wealth to those who prudently act on the understandings they have garnished over the years. Study what goes on during an economic collapse, you may discover that the silver you acquired will trickle out at a rate much faster than you anticipated in the pursuit of those goods required for survival. While money certainly makes trade easier, is that the sole source of wealth you desire to be surrounded by?

Nope, definitely is not the sole source of wealth I am surrounded by. I reread my post. I can see how you would come to that error. Perhaps you wouldn't have had I talked about other things... but my subject in this thread is my love of money -- not my love of pork bellies and orange juice. (Not that pork bellies and orange juice are bad ideas. They're not).

Out of curiosity, what do you suppose will not "trickle out at a rate much faster than you anticipated in the pursuit of those goods required for survival."?

Must find trade or everything will trickle out, eventually.

In order to acquire it, it must exist. The less there is of it, the more dear it will be. An economic collapse suggests that most production will have likely come to a near standstill, and in the area(s) it occurs, that is pretty much what happens. The goods are not only much more difficult to find, they will be far more expensive than under normal economic conditions.

Me.

I collect it (as in coin collecting). I've collected pre-fiat US, Russian Imperial (pre-1917) and ancient coinage. I tend to find the modern base metal crap profoundly uninteresting to collect, though... unless it comes from an era where it was freely convertible to (and hence a convenience substitute for) the real stuff. (Cents and "nickels" from before 1965 for example.)

Of course this is _very_ different from accumulating bullion as you are doing. I do that too, but to me it's a somewhat different endeavor: "Coin Collection" =/= "Bullion Stash".

Edited by Steve D'Ippolito

Me.

I collect it (as in coin collecting). I've collected pre-fiat US, Russian Imperial (pre-1917) and ancient coinage. I tend to find the modern base metal crap profoundly uninteresting to collect, though... unless it comes from an era where it was freely convertible to (and hence a convenience substitute for) the real stuff. (Cents and "nickels" from before 1965 for example.)

Of course this is _very_ different from accumulating bullion as you are doing. I do that too, but to me it's a somewhat different endeavor: "Coin Collection" =/= "Bullion Stash".

I hear you. Very cool.

I got out of numismatics a long time ago. To me, an ounce of silver is an ounce of silver. If someone comes to my store with some fancy coin and expects to get more than its silver content in exchange for goods -- he's going to be very disappointed.

I buy only junk silver, silver bullion and I collect copper pennies and I only take delivery every time.

Ever since I was a child, I had always wanted to have a treasure chest, full of silver and gold and other treasure.

I buy only junk silver, silver bullion and I collect copper pennies and I only take delivery every time.

I couldn't help but notice, your dream of having a treasure chest full of silver and gold only seems to be missing the size specification. It could already be fulfilled. :)

I couldn't help but notice, your dream of having a treasure chest full of silver and gold only seems to be missing the size specification. It could already be fulfilled. :)

Happily, it is.

No offense intended, I am certain you will understand completely when I tell you that the size specification and its whereabouts is a subject that will not be discussed here.

Great post. I just placed my first order for precious metals a few days ago. I'd like to get into the business as a broker, buyer or customer service agent.

Sweet. What did you buy into, if you don't mind my asking?

Once the precious stuff falls into your hand, there's no turning back. Nothing in the world like running my fingers through a pile of one ounce silver rounds. I don't leave home without it.

I was having a great time a few years back before the Liberty Dollar screwed itself and got busted. We were trading real goods for real money! Had our own little network of traders going. It was a tremendous feeling (even though the Liberty Dollar was overvalued).

I bought some fractional gold eagles and 1 oz. silver bars from APMEX. Silver seems a pretty good deal at $31/oz so I might put in for a few more...

Sweet buys. Definitely buy more. Especially silver. At $31.00/toz silver is still dirt cheap.

Check your local coin shop. You might get lower prices and not have to pay any shipping.