Objectivism Online Forum

Ayn Rand Interested In Novalis' Work?

Rate this topic

Aldebaran

I am not knowledgeable about Ayn Rand, and I have come to this forum for help, as my own research hasn't turned up anything.

Someone recently stated that Rand had praised the work of the German Romantic poet Friedrich von Hardenberg, aka Novalis (1772-1801). I find this assertion hard to believe, and have found no support for it, to date, but I am hoping that someone here might confirm or disconfirm it. If there is a reference to Novalis in Rand's work, then a citation to the relevant materials would be most helpful.

Thank you.

Edited by Aldebaran

My computer search of the published words of Ayn Rand and some of the unpublished material for the terms "Novalis" or "Hardenberg" turned up nothing. My search does not cover the full text of the newsletters she edited, just the essays she wrote so it is possible some associate of hers had mentioned him. Question and answer sessions after her speeches are also a possible source but I can't search those either. Sorry.

Thanks very much for trying, Grames. I had similar ill-luck with a Web search. I also looked at the index of The Romantic Manifesto--from the little I know of Rand's thought, that seemed a logical place to start--but also came up snake eyes. I suspect that the person who made the assertion is simply incorrect.

One quick question, Grames:

When you searched, did you do a Web search, or were you searching a database of Rand's writings? It sounds like the latter, but I just want to be completely clear.

Thanks.

The latter. I figure anyone can do web search, but few have the Objectivism CD (now out of production).

Edited by Grames