Objectivism Online Forum

Objectivist's impotent debate tactics

Rate this topic

Hi everyone, I didn't know this was going to turn into this long of a thread. Let me just say, I don't intend on debating any points with any of you. All that this was intended to be was an honest call for someone to explain, from the Objectivist perspective, what was going on in the situations I described in the orginial post. I have no interest in massaging my ego by "winning" online debates, I'll leave that to any of you here who wish to do that. Thank you to those of you who responded before my second post, it did actually clear some things up for me.

The truth is that in discussions or philosophy, politics, economics, religion, and other high passion topics, people of ALL stripes and belief systems tend to resort to ad hominem when they are outmatched or are running out of logical arguments.

This is not an indictment of the rationality of any particular philosophy, just an unfortunate tendency of certain individuals. I have had the same experience when dealing with collectivists and fundamentalist Christians and Muslims. In actual fact, it seems to me that people who dislike objectivism often resort to ad hominem attacks on Ayn Rand herself, as if only a perfect messenger can bring a message of value.

Edited by CapitalistFred