Objectivism Online Forum

Another New Person

Rate this topic

Hello,

I'm new here.

I was introduced to Ayn Rand's works in the mid-90s by a friend who gave me a copy of The Virtue of Selfishness. I was a Christian at the time and read the first chapter or two with - I don't know how to describe the mixture of feelings - anger, incredulity? It took me several years to finally admit to myself that God was a fantasy and altruism was a philosophy of self-destruction as Rand had taught. I was finally ready to read The Virtue of Selfishness for the second time and make a new beginning on ethics. It didn't happen in a moment or a day, at some point I just started answering the question of what I believed as "I am an Objectivist."

I consider myself a relative beginner to Ayn Rand's philosophy and I'm here to learn and exchange ideas. One of the downsides of being an Objectivist is that it is a bit lonely. I don't have a single friend who knows of Ayn Rand's teaching so there is no one to talk to. Many of my "friends" at work are Christians, and I've found that it's better not to flaunt one's atheist belief's in a conservative rural community.

-Rhonda