Objectivism Online Forum

Role of Religion

Rate this topic

Why do you have to know my views on morality?

Think of a religion that teaches the morality you agree with and start from there.

What is it about "pure philosophy" that you think makes it not able to endure in civilization? What facts give rise to your strange response?

It's called the Dark Ages, and even if philosophy survives only a minor part of society actually practice it.

Philosophy is the study of morality (and other things) not the means by which morality is spread in society.

Think of a religion that teaches the morality you agree with and start from there.

That would be context dropping. Religion is more than a morality, it is an attempt to explain nature with invalid means and methods.

It's called the Dark Ages, and even if philosophy survives only a minor part of society actually practice it.

Philosophy is the study of morality (and other things) not the means by which morality is spread in society.

The dark ages was not the absense of philosophy but the prevalence of bad philosophy.

So are you trying to actually ask about persuasive techniques for spreading a philosophy?( to make this synonymous with religion is silly)

That would be context dropping. Religion is more than a morality, it is an attempt to explain nature with invalid means and methods.

The dark ages was not the absense of philosophy but the prevalence of bad philosophy.

So are you trying to actually ask about persuasive techniques for spreading a philosophy?( to make this synonymous with religion is silly)

More like the role of the techniques that are used to spread morality.

Since I can't define my the terms (since that would be silly) at which my question is directed I am going to call these universal techniques of churches: 54dgf4w45sdf.

So what is the role of 54dgf4w45sdf in society?

Are only those who happen to look for the knowledge on morality have the chance to gain some of it, or is it alright for those who poses the knowledge to spread it (if they want to).

Would it be wrong to do that?

There is no technique for “spreading” morality outside of the technique to learn and understand morality in the first place – Reason. Or basically, learn how to think then apply it consistently. Teachers, parents, intellectuals, non-fiction, art, etc. can do this easily. The problem today is that this is not being done in most corners.

We have the “institutions” in place to educate others on morality, which is what you do – educate, not “spread” morality. Those institutions could easily start doing this today if they accepted reason and applied to consistently.

Edited by Spiral Architect