Objectivism Online Forum

Survivalism, preparedness

Rate this topic

So, what do you think about survivalism and disaster preparedness(natural, war, economic, biological, TEOTWAWKI(The End Of The World As We Know It)

Both long and short term.

Short term would usually mean having few weeks of food and water in the house, bug out bag, staying in shape, etc...

Long term would mean months if not decades. That would include growing your own food and protecting it, or having means to do so when necesary, having a shelter, BOL(bug out location) if you live in a city, knowledge of hunting, fishing, bushman skills and so on.

So, what is your opinion on being prepared for disasters, and being able to survive off the grid and without walmart.

Edited by Pigsaw

I won't do most of that stuff because it would be a waist of my time. Given most of the disasters named by those kinds of people will kill me anyways I won't devote large portions of my life and resources to perparing for a situation I will probably die in anyways.

It is the governments should and can deal with a lot of those disasters anyways. So let our tax dollars prevent disasters instead of my private wealth preparing for them.

Both long and short term.
Preparing for a short term problem makes sense. Some natural disasters can knock systems out for a week or so -- an earthquake if you live in California, a bad blizzard in many other states, floods in some others... ... or even something like the East Coast power failure.

The likelihood of "end of the world" type societal breakdown is nearly zero. Some of the "preparation" can probably be fun (learning to hunt and eat squirrels) for some folks. There's no objection to deriving that type of value. However, realistically, one is not going to use those skills. So, doing it primarily for "preparedness" would be a waste of time.

The most common reasons for being a survivalist are:

Economic collapse

Natural disasters such as hurricanes, earthquakes, flooding, fire

Draught for several years

Pandemics

NBC warfare

Complete electronics failure, and the panic that will result (possible 2013 solar storm)

With oil getting more difficult to extract with each passing year, lack of oil and insufficient transportation of food( and everything ), also the riots it will cause.

Global warming

Ice age

Zombies :glare:

IMHO, it is not that irrational for being able to live off the grid.