Objectivism Online Forum

Captain Planet and the Planeteers

Rate this topic

redfarmer

I remember seeing this show as a kid. Apparently, though, they air reruns on Cartoon Network at 5:30 in the morning on weekdays. So, I watched some of it and this is what I saw:

A group of five teens summon an eco super hero to stop eco "criminals". This episode featured a town sherriff who had "framed" the kids as eco-terrorists because he wanted to develop the wetlands in his town. In the end, the sherriff ended up being assigned to a prision clean-up crew for the wetlands.

The end of the show features a bit of preaching to kids about how they need to write their congressmen and encourage them to protect the wetlands from "thoughtless" development. A second preachy message talked about how bats are gentle creatures who protect us from insects and how we should build a shelter for them similar to a bird house.

I'm in awe of how tied to the New Left this tv show is. The sad thing is that parents probably don't give it second thought because we all "know" we have to "protect" the environment. Frankly, watching an episode made me want to throw up.

Between this and someone on another thread seeing Kwanzza featured on an episode of "Blue's Clues", it makes me wonder whether there's any good TV shows for kids.

I never did like this show, even as a kid, and now it occurs to me why. They use the heroic concept to promote the ideology of the New Left.

Yecch, don't get me started on Captain Planet. It's the worst example of Environmentalist propaganda yet.

I remember a particularly telling episode in which the five eco-teens faced up against a counterpart team of "evil" businessman who themselves summoned some kind of super-villan thing that represents pollution.

It's a real shame that kids watch this stuff. Terrible.

… it makes me wonder whether there's any good TV shows for kids.

When I was a kid the only shows my mom let me watch were Mathnet and Sesame Street (Mathnet was my favorite :) ). A little latter in life Bill Nye the Science Guy came into play, but by that time something had happened to Mathnet so they never competed for my attention.

I always liked Ducktales as a child. The whole story of Uncle Scrooge coming from Scotland and earning his fortune through hard work really appealed to me (an immigrant myself). Little did I realize I was on my way to finding Objectivism.

Dagny, that was my favorite show as a kid. Ever since I saw that show I've always wanted to be rich enough to the point where I could swim in a vat of my own money like Mr. Scrooge

What better role model for children? :santa: Here's a quote from him:

I made my fortune on the seas, and in the mines, and in the cattle wars of the old frontier... I made it by being tougher than the toughies, and smarter than the smarties. And I made it SQUARE! -Scrooge McDuck

I always liked Ducktales as a child. The whole story of Uncle Scrooge coming from Scotland and earning his fortune through hard work really appealed to me (an immigrant myself). Little did I realize I was on my way to finding Objectivism.

I liked Ducktales up until the final season when they started doing weird things like adding the cave duck and the incompetent super hero duck.

Consequently, it's funny that one of Scrooge's biggest villians was a group of robbers. Robber barons? :)

Ironically, isn't it horrible they used Scrooge to play the role of Ebennezer Scrooge in the Disney version of that horrible play, A Christmas Carol?

I do remember Care Bears but I don't remember much about it (it's probably been about 20 years). Refresh my memory.

as if Sentient Teddy Bears that live in the clouds, shoot bolts of Pure Goodness from their stomachs, and run around doing good deeds isn't already enough of an insult to everything Objectivism stands for Metaphysically? :D

Tommy, I called it first! :ninja:

as if Sentient Teddy Bears that live in the clouds, shoot bolts of Pure Goodness from their stomachs, and run around doing good deeds isn't already enough of an insult to everything Objectivism stands for Metaphysically?  :D

Tommy, I called it first! :huh:

Ah, ok! You just brought back a flood of memories for me about that show. Alright, I agree with you about it!

By chance I was at a house in which the child was watching the Care Bears movie. It was rather macabre. A young Carnie is possessed by a demon and forced to commit acts of atrocities while the CBs are forced to flee their homes and enlist the aid of their animal cousins in order to exorcise the demon from the carnie.

I can't believe that I, a grown man, am having a conversation about Care Bears... On a philosophy forum no less.

... and how about those Teletubbies? The first time I saw that show, I thought: "What the...?". It's like a bunch of oversize, cooing, incoherent, multicolor, living marshmallows on acid. Can someone with kids, or with an understanding of the show, explain what it's about? :)

... and how about those Teletubbies? The first time I saw that show, I thought: "What the...?". It's like a bunch of oversize, cooing, incoherent, multicolor, living marshmallows on acid. Can someone with kids, or with an understanding of the show, explain what it's about? :confused:

The creators say it supposedly "stimulates" smaller kids to think. Personally, I think I'd be a raving mad man today had I been forced to watch this show as a kid.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone ever heard of a show called, "Boo-Bah?" If you watch it long enough, I think you'll have an epileptic seizure. Something like Teletubbies, only worse.

I LOVED Mathnet! I got an autographed picture of the main characters. Don't know what I did with it though, that was a while ago. I watched Bill Nye the Science Guy as well, but before him there was Beakman. Does anyone remember Beakman? With the giant rat as his helper?

I actually did remember to save the first dollar I ever earned, I was a carhop and got it in tips. (No, we didn't have to use skates, but I still dropped food.)

The creators say it supposedly "stimulates" smaller kids to think. Personally, I think I'd be a raving mad man today had I been forced to watch this show as a kid.

I was at a small party on Xmas Eve and the hosts' one-year-old daughter was quite cranky and tired. But they turned on Teletubbies and she was mesmerized. Her parents think highly of the show, but it is definitely intended for very "immature" audiences. :)