Objectivism Online Forum

Okay, I've been posting for a while but haven't

Rate this topic

Zoso

I am a graduate student working on a Master's degree in criminal justice from Sam Houston State University...I know, it's a crappy school, but it's also the best in the nation for criminal justice. In August, I graduated from Texas A&M with a BS in psychology. After I get my Master's, I'm hoping to move to Ohio to be with my future wife and work on a PhD in political philosophy at Bowling Green State University.

I should probably say, as some of you know, I am not an Objectivist. However, I think I have potential to be. One of the reasons I can't call myself an Objectivist is because I do not understand a lot of it. I've read Atlas Shrugged, Anthem, We the Living, Philosophy: Who Needs It?, and The Virtue of Selfishness. Most of what I don't understand is the epistemology, and I'd like to read ITOE at some point in the near future. I seem to disagree with a lot of the epistemology but, like I said, that may be due to the fact that I don't have a good understanding of it yet. I agree almost entirely with the politics, ethics, and metaphysics. Although, the metaphysics is another area where I could stand to learn a bit more before taking a definite stance. As for the aesthetics...I'm not really interested in aesthetic theory and do not plan to read The Romantic Manifesto. So, I'm here to learn. Be patient with me, because I'm trying to understand Objectivism, but I'll probably say stuff that doesn't quite fit, from time to time. If you think I'm wrong, tell me why and don't just attack me for being "irrational," because it will be an honest mistake.

I am a graduate student working on a Master's degree in criminal justice from Sam Houston State University...I know, it's a crappy school, but it's also the best in the nation for criminal justice.  In August, I graduated from Texas A&M with a BS in psychology.  After I get my Master's, I'm hoping to move to Ohio to be with my future wife and work on a PhD in political philosophy at Bowling Green State University.

I should probably say, as some of you know, I am not an Objectivist.  However, I think I have potential to be.  One of the reasons I can't call myself an Objectivist is because I do not understand a lot of it.  I've read Atlas Shrugged, Anthem, We the Living, Philosophy: Who Needs It?, and The Virtue of Selfishness.  Most of what I don't understand is the epistemology, and I'd like to read ITOE at some point in the near future.  I seem to disagree with a lot of the epistemology but, like I said, that may be due to the fact that I don't have a good understanding of it yet.  I agree almost entirely with the politics, ethics, and metaphysics.  Although, the metaphysics is another area where I could stand to learn a bit more before taking a definite stance.  As for the aesthetics...I'm not really interested in aesthetic theory and do not plan to read The Romantic Manifesto.  So, I'm here to learn.  Be patient with me, because I'm trying to understand Objectivism, but I'll probably say stuff that doesn't quite fit, from time to time.  If you think I'm wrong, tell me why and don't just attack me for being "irrational," because it will be an honest mistake.

Hey Zoso! Of course, you know I've seen you around because I'm one of the ones who has been responding to your posts! :)

As for not understanding it all, don't sweat it. Look at it this way: you've been going through life with a bad philosophy up till now. Of course it's going to take time to root out the bad from the good.

Welcome to the forum! I'll see you around!

P.S. Even if you personally are not interested in aesthetic theory, I would still recommend The Romantic Manifesto. Your life may revolve more around aesthetics than you think, even if you are not an artist. If you ever watch TV, read a book, listen to music, see a movie, see a play, visit an art museum, or look at architectural pictures, it's important to have a good understanding of aesthetics so you can distinguish the good from the bad and understand why they're good or bad. Thus, why the secondary title for Ayn Rand's The Art of Fiction is: A Guide For Writers & Readers.

As for the aesthetics...I'm not really interested in aesthetic theory and do not plan to read The Romantic Manifesto. 

I would highly recommend picking up a copy of the Romantic Manifesto if only to read the first few essays, "Philosophy and Sense of Life", "Art and Sense of Life" and ""The Psycho-Epistemology of Art".

As for the aesthetics...I'm not really interested in aesthetic theory and do not plan to read The Romantic Manifesto.

Hi Zoso,

I felt the same way you do about aesthics, until I read some of the Romantic Manifesto. Once I read some of those essays, I finally understood the purpose of art. It was then that I realized I hadn't seen much art, but rather many horrible things that try to pass for it. I think that is why I didn't have much interest in art before that.

Anyway, welcome!

d_s

I am a graduate student working on a Master's degree in criminal justice from Sam Houston State University...I know, it's a crappy school, but it's also the best in the nation for criminal justice.  In August, I graduated from Texas A&M with a BS in psychology.  After I get my Master's, I'm hoping to move to Ohio to be with my future wife and work on a PhD in political philosophy at Bowling Green State University.

Never sell yourself short for being a Bearkat. After all, you are an Aggie so that does counter quite a bit. :ninja: In all seriousness, it's more about what you make of school more so than where you went. Give me a Bearkat or even Sul Ross grad that's motivated over your average Rice grad any day of the week.

lol, do you go to SHSU or something?

No. I graduated from Univ of Houston many years ago and have hired many many people. I've found from experience that it doesn't what the name on the diploma but the person who carries it. Sure it may open some doors but when it comes down to it I can usually suss out someone less than a minute into the interview.

I've seen some people with degrees from Rice that had impressive levels of technical knowledge but really couldn't concretise their knowledge. One of my best hires was a bartender who went to community college then to Sul Ross and had a degree in something like barrel racing horses and chewing Skoal. Four years after graduation he's managing an office for one of my competitors who snagged him away from me.

In August, I graduated from Texas A&M with a BS in psychology.  After I get my Master's, I'm hoping to move to Ohio to be with my future wife and work on a PhD in political philosophy at Bowling Green State University.

WHOOP! (I'll be getting my MS in MIS sometime this week :thumbsup:) (The Yarr is still here.)

WHOOP!  (I'll be getting my MS in MIS sometime this week :nuke:)  (The Yarr is still here.)

Hullabaloo Canek Canek, now you get the 15lb A&M ring that makes an ominous "thump!" when you place you hand on your desk. What I can't figure out is the Aggie engineering involved when even the relatively dainty Aggie women's rings can still somehow make that deep thump. Y'all must make them out of dark star matter or something.

What do you call a UH grad? Waiter <snapping fingers in air> What do you call an Aggie? You don't call him becuase he's busy doing your annual review. :D

Zoso, a good reference book to learn about Objectivism with is The Ayn Rand Lexicon: Objectivism form A to Z by Harry Binswanger. In the table of contents it is broken down conceptually and reads much like a dictionary.

I find this book to be a very good source of information as it saves me having to remember what I read where and in which article. If I am curious about a particular topic, I can find it quickly.