Objectivism Online Forum

More Despicable Enviroterrorism

Rate this topic

Yes

Interestingly, I read in an article today in my local paper that people are moving from the suburbs and back to the cities where they work. This is true in the New Jersey area, which is sandwiched by Philly and NYC. There's just too much traffic and commuting, and it costs a fortune to take mass transit.

And yes, these eco-terrorists are evil individuals, akin to their brethren in the Middle East.

Can anyone define what "the sprawl" is and why it is supposedly so bad?

"The sprawl" is when people move into their own, newly-built homes. The environazis think it's bad because the place where your new home stands used to be covered with grass and you obviously had to murder those poor blades of grass in order to build it.

Can anyone define what "the sprawl" is and why it is supposedly so bad? I just can't isolate this anti-concept. It seems like they hate the 'burbs for their virtues and love the city for its vices. And vice versa, as it were...  :D

Those values come from those who believe that we should all live in cramped, pricey roach-infested apartments in noisy buildings with the activity of the city below us, with its polluted air.

That sort of anti-man, anti-mind "thinking" is typically symptomatic of collectivists.

Those values come from those who believe that we should all live in cramped, pricey roach-infested apartments in noisy buildings with the activity of the city below us, with its polluted air.

That sort of anti-man, anti-mind "thinking" is typically symptomatic of collectivists.

Exactly. I have heard great cases on the virtues and vices of both city and suburbs. But the common media out there (especially those who refer to the suburbs as "the sprawl") seem to LIKE the city for its negative aspects (crowded, public transit, inherantly collectivist aspects of the lifestyle) and HATE the suburbs for their positive aspects (wide open spaces, friendly to cars, individual ownership of property and inherant individualism).

(Not that those aspects are definitive of either; the city has its virtues and the burbs their vices)

Of course the same people who are protesting the existance of suburbs complain about gentrification etc. when people leave the suburbs and move back. It's happening here in Houston, people are buying up worthless property in really bad areas, putting four townhomes/lofts that are fairly high end on the lot where just two crack houses used to stand.

Then people complain about the envrionmental problems associated when people live in exactly such housing. Of course since it is people who are more wealthy that the people who lived on that land before, something is obviously wrong. Well that is since wealthy people can never be trusted.

It's like their point is they don't like that people live anywhere....oh wait, that is their point.

This thread is an example of why you should not make conclusions without first knowing the necessary premises involved. As it turned out, the crimes has nothing to do with enviroterrorism.

http://washingtontimes.com/metro/20041218-121746-9657r.htm

Here's an interesting bit of the article:

"Sylvester Kelley, 56, a computer engineer who moved into the development last week from Dale City, Va., said he considers the neighborhood safe again after speculation of the motive being racism or ecoterrorism. 'It's a sense of relief of knowing that the rumors that it was racially motived or done by ecoterrorists were [unfounded]. I'm relieved in the sense that it was just a fanatic with no rhyme or reason.'"

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone define what "the sprawl" is and why it is supposedly so bad? I just can't isolate this anti-concept. It seems like they hate the 'burbs for their virtues and love the city for its vices. And vice versa, as it were...  :thumbsup:

This may be off topic. As Ayn Rand suggested one must take a premise to its logical extreme to fully comprehend its consequences. Hypocristy is the handmaiden of altruism. What a good boy am I.