Objectivism Online Forum

In what ways does cognitive science reflect Objectivist epistemology?

Rate this topic

epistemologue

Objectivism says that man has a rational faculty and that emotions are not tools of cognition. The study of human cognition confirms this ability. However, these studies also show that it is very common for people to make decisions using certain automated responses which they are not able to justify if they think things through. If one can reconcile these results with Objectivism, cognitive theory supports Objectivism. If not, it challenges it.

I recommend a small book "Influence" - by Cialdini and a good starting point. A longer and more comprehensive book is: "Thinking : Fast and Slow" - By Kahneman

Objectivism says that man has a rational faculty and that emotions are not tools of cognition. The study of human cognition confirms this ability. However, these studies also show that it is very common for people to make decisions using certain automated responses which they are not able to justify if they think things through. If one can reconcile these results with Objectivism, cognitive theory supports Objectivism. If not, it challenges it.

I recommend a small book "Influence" - by Cialdini and a good starting point. A longer and more comprehensive book is: "Thinking : Fast and Slow" - By Kahneman

Along similar lines, Antonio Demasio has written a superb book entitled "Descartes' Error" wherein he shows that emotion and reason are not in opposition.

The work of Alva Noe is worth a look, especially "You Are Not Your Brain". Noe has some free papers available on his website.

There has been a lot of work in concepts that can substantiate Rand's claims of concept formation, and a lot more that might prove to be reasons against it. I'll try and create a list in the next day of some interesting readings on concept formatoin.

There has been a lot of work in concepts that can substantiate Rand's claims of concept formation, and a lot more that might prove to be reasons against it. I'll try and create a list in the next day of some interesting readings on concept formatoin.

I would definitely be interest to see this

Robert Campbell of Clemson is an Objectivist who has written extensively on cognitive science. I'm not acquainted with his writings, buy you can check them out at http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~campber/vita.html. At least one of his articles is online: http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~campber/randcogrev.html.