Objectivism Online Forum

Video game prohibition in Korea

Rate this topic

Dániel Boros

The real issue here is that there has to be the added protection so that parents can parent. I am not a parent myself, so I cannot speak personally on this, but parents should be actively involved in their childs life, and know what there child is doing. There should not have to be some control to prevent kids from gaming, parents should be capable of this. What good is blocking a game from a kid, if the parent is not around, or not involved, to ensure some sort of other meaning full acctivity ensues? Like you mentioned, the child will either get around the block, or the kid will be left to find other vices, perhaps much worse ones. The problem isn't the game, taking away the game solves nothing.

The real issue here is that there has to be the added protection so that parents can parent. I am not a parent myself, so I cannot speak personally on this, but parents should be actively involved in their childs life, and know what there child is doing. There should not have to be some control to prevent kids from gaming, parents should be capable of this. What good is blocking a game from a kid, if the parent is not around, or not involved, to ensure some sort of other meaning full acctivity ensues? Like you mentioned, the child will either get around the block, or the kid will be left to find other vices, perhaps much worse ones. The problem isn't the game, taking away the game solves nothing.

Well actually I'd say the real issue is the violation of the parents' rights to determine how their children spend their free time. It's also a violation of the video game companies' rights to freely trade.

Whether or not the law is practical in achieving its aims is secondary. It's not the state's duty to discipline children.

Reason_Being, you're right about which rights are being violated. From a public policy standpoint, this seems to be an educational issue. Regulation begets regulation. The government runs the schools. They use the schools to justify usurping ever-increasing amounts of parental authority bit by bit. The underlying premise that needs to be exposed and defeated is the assumption that the state has a right to monopolize education.