Objectivism Online Forum

Should we support companies that want Monopolies?

Rate this topic

Elton

Should we subscribe to the services offered by wireless companies that call for the government to keep competitors out? As Verizon's CEO recently stated:

A point of shared belief between market leaders Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam and AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson is that excessive competition just does not make sense.

McAdam and Stephenson both believe that competition in telecommunications represents wasted investment, inefficiency, and value destruction.

http://stopthecap.com/2012/07/17/verizon-ceo-ponders-killing-off-rural-phonebroadband-service-rake-in-wireless-profits/

No.

Companies which want to corner the market through excellence (product quality and/or pricing) are truly capitalist.

Companies which want to resort to force (lobbying, abusing governmental mechanisms) to achieve the same are *not* capitalist.

Should we not buy crops that have subsidized crop insurance? It isn't EXACTLY the same thing as not allowing competition, but I do blame government for allowing these types of things to happen more than the companies.

Personally, I don't plan on unsubscribing from Verizon any time soon, especially when I only pay $10/month.

Edited by Matt Giannelli