Objectivism Online Forum

Are there objectivists first names ? Something meaning "no sacrifi

Rate this topic

Hello

Since this is my first post, I'll give a quick bio before shooting my question :-)

These last few years my life changed a lot. Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead opened my eyes and let me realize the travesty many are forced to live in. I discovered my deepest thought printed on paper. As I got rid of my shame and became proud of my values, I found myself becoming incompatible with Europe, little by little. I am now a proud permanent resident Canada, which seems to me like a free society and is more compatible with my values (which are leading me towards Alberta)

There is one thing I would like to change to celebrate my new life - that's my first name, or at least my middle name if I can't find a valid candidate. Since I'm a newcomer in Canada, I have few legal documents to change, and it is a good opportunity to start anew.

A name is not just a tag, but something that one identifies with. As long as I can remember, I disagreed with the idea of the sacrifice of Isaac. That is my first objectivist though, that no one should be sacrificed. As such, I would like it to become my name - the one who refuse sacrifices, but not because he was stupidly going to until some angel told him to stop, but because it is wrong in the first place - which excludes Abraham.

Days and days of online search gave nothing. There are multiple names meaning sacrifice, but not a single one meaning "no sacrifice". Maybe someone in the forum knows one - I would be delighted to know! I'm considering adopting it as my first name if it sounds normal enough, or my middle name if it is a bit too weird/too long to my taste.

If it is a female name, I'll see how it can be used on a man (i-> y?) or relegate it to my middle name. Yet considering at the moment I have found nothing at all, I would even take a female middle name as a success!

If there is no such name in none of the human languages, do you know about other names which can be identified as Objectivist? Something meaning "Egoist" would be great too. Alternative ideas "Living for hiself", "Refusing the unearned".

Sorry if it is a long question, but it is important to me.

Any name from pretty much 1AD onward is going to be based on the altruistic mythologies of Judeo-Christians. This includes most names from all of the areas of Byzantine influence. These are the names which are most common today that don't sound 'weird' to modern ears. A few characters in the bible were actually badasses, such as Samson. If you're interested different names from those I suggest looking at Greek and Roman names. However most of those represent ideals or mythology from those religions. Alexander, for instance, is Greek for 'protector' (I believe). However, I doubt you will come up with any names of specific Objectivist ideals, since Objectivism has only existed within the last century.

Any name from pretty much 1AD onward is going to be based on the altruistic mythologies of Judeo-Christians. This includes most names from all of the areas of Byzantine influence. These are the names which are most common today that don't sound 'weird' to modern ears. A few characters in the bible were actually badasses, such as Samson. If you're interested different names from those I suggest looking at Greek and Roman names. However most of those represent ideals or mythology from those religions. Alexander, for instance, is Greek for 'protector' (I believe). However, I doubt you will come up with any names of specific Objectivist ideals, since Objectivism has only existed within the last century.

Thanks for the hint! I'll look up at old names (Norse, Roman, Greek). My research on Gaelic and Scottish names gave nothing so far.

PS: I was strongly thinking at Alexander, but protector might sound altruistic so I'm not sure.

EDIT: found out - protector of MANKIND. Objectivism brings reason, the only true protector to mankind. That makes a solid candidate for the list !!

http://www.name-meanings.com/greek_name_meanings.php

EDIT2 - wow thanks a bunch! Now that was the *right* lead - found another one just a minute later Sheridan, irish for untamed. Do you have a Bitcoin address to send a reward for the service?

Edited by nosacrifice

Since you're French, why not take the name of Étienne de La Boétie?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Étienne_de_La_Boétie

It's the French form of Stephen, so hopefully no one confuses you with St. Stephen. Marytrdom and Objectivism don't mix so well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Stephen

No matter what you pick there'll be multiple possible associations.

• 3 months later...