Objectivism Online Forum

Rand on Reagan, Religion, and Abortion

Rate this topic

Ninth Doctor

BTW if this get lots of “thumbs up” votes I’ll feel more motivated to upload some of the other clips I took off the tape. Including “I am a male chauvanist”, and incontrovertible proof that Rand was the first to call for a “tea party”. So get clicking, I’m doing like Peter Keating and taking a poll among the guests.

BTW, is this talk already available somewhere online? I've never noticed it anywhere, except a different clip from it on YouTube.

Edited by Ninth Doctor

I've seen this... but I want to say it was a video on the ARI website?

Oh crap, a little Googling and there it is, the whole shebang.

http://lockerz.com/d/7824425

“Ayn Rand sanction of the victim” nothing, “Ayn Rand sanction of the victims video”, bingo.

Serves me right for equating YouTube with everything out there. And here I thought I must be sitting on something rare, since just about everything else is on YouTube. I also have the James Day interview, I haven’t seen that anywhere online. We can all look forward to the other two Johnny Carson appearances, the person who preserved the first one is said to have the other two as well.

I’ll probably go ahead and upload the 2-3 other clips, I already thought of “value-added” things to do with them, and they're each only about a minute long.

She overstates the case against the Moral Majority. The notion that they controlled Reagan and his administration was mostly a media stereotype, as the John Birch Society had been nearly twenty years earlier. Rand is one of the people who bought the stereotype.

Here's a follow-up. It's not really worthy of it's own thread, so I'm just putting it here.

In addition to this, it's great to listen to that documentary "Ayn Rand in her own words". She talks about how her and Frank were poor in the beginning. Obviously since she herself was once poor, she doesn't hate the poor.

She overstates the case against the Moral Majority. The notion that they controlled Reagan and his administration was mostly a media stereotype, as the John Birch Society had been nearly twenty years earlier. Rand is one of the people who bought the stereotype.

I wonder if Rand’s opinion of Reagan would have changed had she lived to see his entire presidency.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a follow-up. It's not really worthy of it's own thread, so I'm just putting it here.

Does anyone here speak Russian? I gather this comes from the Russian Libertarian party(?); they've taken the above video, edited out my additions, tacked on some material from a meeting of theirs, and added Russian subtitles to Rand's comments. I'd just like to know that it's not commentary from the Rachel Maddow school of Rand criticism. It certainly looks positive in intent.

Edited by Ninth Doctor