Objectivism Online Forum

drafts of Political Oath in US

Rate this topic

OhReally

"As an elected, appointed or otherwise engaged member of this governing body, I affirm that the nature of all persons everywhere means that a person acts to live his own life by his own choices for his own purposes and acts to sustain and further his life by gaining, keeping and disposing of his property and further, I affirm that any person acts morally when acting to defend himself from any individual or group of individuals who, by fraud, physical coercion or threat of coercion, destroy, deny or obstruct the person's life, liberty or property. In my capacity in this governing body, I swear by my life and by my love of it that I solemnly accept this grave responsibility solely delegated to me by each citizen to act as the agent of each citizen in defending their life, liberty and property.”

followed by "... preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States...."

If you be interested to add you own version, please feel free.

The government shouldn't be mandating any morality, not even as a requirement to be a government employee. It should, in an official context, discuss political rights, not morality.

From? ".... I affirm that any person acts morally when acting to defend himself from any individual ..."

To? ".... I affirm that any person acts rightly when acting to defend himself from any individual ..."