Objectivism Online Forum

Where does methaphysics start?

Rate this topic

Okay, would methodological naturalism count as metaphysics or as epistemology?

According to wikipedia it counts as epistemology, but why?

I am curious whether nature can be defined with things related to science like particles and laws.

Also what can one use to define the scientific method? Can I use both epistemology and metaphysics?

Okay, would methodological naturalism count as metaphysics or as epistemology?

According to wikipedia it counts as epistemology, but why?

I am curious whether nature can be defined with things related to science like particles and laws.

Also what can one use to define the scientific method? Can I use both epistemology and metaphysics?

Metaphysics is about what exists apart from and prior to consciousness.

Epistemology is about method: theories of truth, normative standards for proper thinking, etc.

These two fields are distinct but not independent: a certain metaphysics is logically compatible with a corresponding epistemology (although the idea of compatibility and non-contradiction itself imports an implicit epistemology and metaphysics).

Methodological naturalism is a method, thus an epistemology. As a method it assumes a certain metaphysics. but those who advocate methodological naturalism wish to both accept and reject that metaphysics. They assert God exists, yet proceed with investigations into natural phenomenon as if God did not exist. Non-contradiction is accepted as an epistemological standard only to a certain point.

The philosophy of science relies equally on both metaphysics and epistemology.