Objectivism Online Forum

Paralysis of Consciousness

Rate this topic

From The VoS:

"Man’s emotional mechanism works as the barometer of the efficacy or impotence of his actions. If severe and prolonged enough, the absence of a normal, active flow of value-experiences may disintegrate and paralyze man’s consciousness—by telling him that no action is possible."

This has happened to me. How do I overcome this?

Seek out art for inspiration. Time with friends is good too. Try things even if you don't think you'll be succesful, asking for help if you have trouble. Ask around about good news other people have heard or things that have happened for them lately. Write down a few positives about your day each day. If you keep having difficulty with this then perhaps a psychologist would be helpful. :)

Edited by bluecherry

Im probably in no position to help, because you sound alot like myself. After many years of pursuing subjective and irrational values I came to a point when I had completely forgotten how to desire or want anything in particuar. I forgot how to value things, and how to pursue values. I was paralyzed in the face of even simple choices due to a complete lack of any motivation to live. (to live is to pursue values) I say this in the past tense, but I still struggle daily.

You need to automatize positive actions in your life no matter how small. In fact youll need to start small. Pick a few things that you could see yourself doing and enjoying (I know it can be tough) that will be positive for your mental, physical or spiritual health. Maybe pick one thing for each, thats what I did. (reading/learning, walking/excersizing, stargazing for example) Notice that theres no direct social aspect to these activities (I didnt pick clubbing), Ive decided that I need to learn to be happy with myself before I put myself out there. Pehaps a mistake, but I dont think so.

Just keep plugging away, and dont pursue any activity that goes against the achievement of your simple, but stated goals. Its hard to think long term for you Id bet. It is for me. But thats just what you have to do. It helps to write stuff down, goals, things that made you smile, that kinda stuff. Good luck.

What sort of situations are you in when you feel like no action is possible?

I'm unemployed and have been for a long time. I'm reduced to a position where I have to take any job I can get just because it's a job.

My odds of finding anything are disimal.

But I don't just need work, I need some kind of productive purpose to give my life meaning. I've been inactive for so long that I now have no idea what that would even be.

Looking throug the jobs on craigslsit, most of them are so purposeless and unfulfilling that, even if I could get them, I think I'd hate them so bad that I'd be unable to succeed at them.

Meanwhile, Obama and Bernanke are committed to doing everything in their power to destroy the economy. As bad as things are, I'm certain they will get worse, possibly a lot worse.

So it seems that my life is just going to be a drudgerous uphill battle to nowhere from now on. No purpose, no values, no happiness anywhere in sight. All there is to look forward to is applying for jobs that I don't want and then even if I get one, Obama is going to destroy the US dollar and wipe out the value of my wages. It's like what's the point anymore.

Edited by Severely Maladjusted

I doubt you are homeless so I am guessing you are dependent on someone else right now? I am also assuming that you are in your 20s, have some education, and do not have any spouses or kids.

You are doing yourself a diservice by including statements about politics in a discussion of your personal problems. Making excuses for yourself like that is dehumanizing and won't help with your motivation problems.

I think any sort of job that can earn money is better than no job. Work is a task that someone would rather pay you to do than do themselves. So you probably need to start delivering pizzas and finding affordable interests. I would also suggest an interest that requires you to socialize with people in real life. Take these things and treat them earnestly. You have to go in with the mindset that these things do matter.

.Since you are in a slump now I don't think it is a realistic goal to worry about accomplishing anything other than stability and independence. After that you can worry about career, education wife, kids, etc.

Just don't get anyone pregnant .

Start over, start afresh. You've apparently convinced yourself of defeat and drudgery,

as though no other generation struggled in bad times. Still, avoid comparing other people to you.

And you aren't the economy/politics, and they aren't you. Start small - pay attention to all

the little things like you never did before; some time you should discover, it becomes habitual,

and a part of what you are. Think, act and talk yourself into what you actually are,

like any of us, a hero - unknown, but to yourself. Concentrate, be conscious, and be kind to

yourself.

[Oh, and as Hairnet says, don't get anyone pregnant.]

Edited by whYNOT

It's like what's the point anymore.

Our advice can only go so far, as you're the only one who knows to what extent your are stuck. Don't neglect help from a psychologist or psychiatrist, because they're the one who are trained to help you out of mental paralysis, anxieties, and so on. That's an important step to make, and certainly not one to be ashamed of.