Objectivism Online Forum

Ayn Rand Institute: John A. Allison Resigns from Board of Directors

Rate this topic

IRVINE, Calif.--The Ayn Rand Institute (ARI) announced today that John Allison, a member of the Institute’s Board of Directors, has decided to resign from the Board, noting a desire to reduce his professional commitments and devote full energies to his new position as chief executive officer and President of the Cato Institute in Washington, D.C.

Michael Berliner and Arline Mann, co-chairs of ARI's Board of Directors, commented: "We are extremely grateful to John for his many years of highly effective work on behalf of ARI and Objectivism. This is a loss for us; fortunately, John has generously agreed to be available for us to consult with, on an occasional, ad hoc basis. We wish him well in his exciting new position at Cato."

"I am proud of the Institute's accomplishments in achieving its mission to spread Ayn Rand's ideas," said Mr. Allison. "I am sincerely grateful for the support I've received from the Institute's Board of Directors, contributors, and employees. I certainly continue to support ARI, which is well-positioned and is on a clear path to increasing Ayn Rand's influence on the culture."

# # #

Link to original

• 5 years later...

Allison is being mentioned as a (long shot) option for Fed chief: https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/17/powell-likely-next-fed-chief-though-yellen-best-suited-economists.html

Not very realistic, I would think. Not so much because he's an Objectivist, but because his take on the '08 crisis dismantles the establishment narrative. Trump might like him exactly because of that, but it probably makes him impossible to confirm. As we've seen all year, there's a Senate majority that doesn't need much of an excuse to vote against Trump. They hate him with a passion (insulting John McCain will do that for you).

11 hours ago, Nicky said:

Allison is being mentioned as a (long shot) option for Fed chief: https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/17/powell-likely-next-fed-chief-though-yellen-best-suited-economists.html

Not very realistic, I would think. Not so much because he's an Objectivist, but because his take on the '08 crisis dismantles the establishment narrative. Trump might like him exactly because of that, but it probably makes him impossible to confirm. As we've seen all year, there's a Senate majority that doesn't need much of an excuse to vote against Trump. They hate him with a passion (insulting John McCain will do that for you).

John McCain. A relic who is still fighting a relic of the cold war two-and-a-half decades after it ended, two-and-a-half decades after he should've died of old age. A prisoner of war who freed his body but never freed his mind.

He is the most basic of jokes.

Edited by CartsBeforeHorses

On 10/26/2017 at 6:32 PM, CartsBeforeHorses said:

John McCain. A relic who is still fighting a relic of the cold war two-and-a-half decades after it ended, two-and-a-half decades after he should've died of old age. A prisoner of war who freed his body but never freed his mind.

Is this your idea of fun?

On 10/27/2017 at 1:32 AM, CartsBeforeHorses said:

McCain is one vote out of 100. By himself, he wouldn't make a difference.

The reason why insulting him turned the Senate (including senior Republicans) against Trump is because, as a war hero, a descendant of accomplished American military leaders, and a unifying voice as a politician, John McCain is the most respected member of the Senate, and probably the entire political establishment.

Insulting McCain will go down in history as the second biggest blunder of Trump's political career (behind soliciting and accepting help from Russian spies, during the campaign), and one of the main contributing factors to his failed presidency.

I might disagree with you on things, but I thank you from the bottom of my heart for actually responding to my points instead of evading and sniping at me like the other two posters in here did.

1 minute ago, Nicky said:

McCain is one vote out of 100. By himself, he wouldn't make a difference.

The reason why insulting him turned the Senate (including senior Republicans) against Trump is because, as a war hero, a descendant of accomplished American military leaders, and a unifying voice as a politician, John McCain is the most respected member of the Senate, and probably the entire political establishment.

He's influential, as you point out. The other senators who follow him merely due to his war record are engaging in the fallacy of appeal to authority. They are anti-reason and I suspect they would've opposed Trump regardless. They are part of the military-industrial complex and they get huge checks from "defense" industries to do and say what they do. Namely, involve America in more wars. More of Israel's wars.

2 minutes ago, Nicky said:

(behind soliciting and accepting help from Russian spies, during the campaign)

Russia should not be our enemy. They are far from a perfect country, but they are not the Soviet Union. It is in their national interest to have good relations with the most powerful country on earth, just as it is in our national interest to have good relations with the second-most powerful country on earth. (Other than perhaps China but they lack Russia's nuclear capabilities and technological development).

Trump asking Russia to hack Hillary Clinton's emails--which she refused to release despite them being public information and relevant to an informed electorate--was a legitimate response to her shenanigans and secrecy. Obama certainly wasn't going to do anything about it. As far as I am concerned, those Russian spies are heroes for what they did, if indeed they did it... Wikileaks is an independent organization which does not receive Russian government support.

8 minutes ago, Nicky said:

and one of the main contributing factors to his failed presidency.

Trump has rolled back more business-killing regulations than any president. He appointed a strict constructionalist to the Supreme Court instead of Ginsburg 2.0 that we would've gotten from Hillary.

I would hardly call that a failure.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/04/25/president-trumps-100-days-historic-accomplishments

8 minutes ago, CartsBeforeHorses said:

I might disagree with you on things, but I thank you from the bottom of my heart for actually responding to my points instead of evading and sniping at me like the other two posters in here did.

I didn't snipe at you is because there's already a bit of a mob engaged in that activity. But just because I don't like joining angry mobs doesn't mean I failed to notice that you're an alt right troll.

Just now, Nicky said:

I didn't snipe at you is because there's already a bit of a mob engaged in that activity. But just because I don't like joining angry mobs doesn't mean I failed to notice that you're an alt right troll.

If attacking a warmongering, corrupt senator is considered alt right trolling, then make the most of it.