Objectivism Online Forum

Rate this topic

choo

Debate on "Fossil fuels: are they a risk to the planet or do they improve it?

Thoughts? I'm interested to see how Alex will handle someone at this level... I've seen him debate people from OWS - but most of those people were complete door knobs.

Here's the article which triggered this whole thing (referred to in the video) Global Warming's Terrifying New Math
Alex's original challenge video:

For anyone who's interested you can get DVDs, T-shirts, background info, etc here:

McKibben vs Epstein Campaign

Edited by choo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The McKibben supporter discussion leads with this gem:

[M]y daughter and I were outraged that Epstein is capable of taking such a humanistic, anthropocentric position on the issues regarding the health of our planet.

Nothing could better demonstrate Epstein’s complete lack of a biocentric viewpoint[...]

This woman and her daughter are outraged because Epstein is thinking about humanity, while their value-systems dictate that we sacrafice humans to Gaia. I wish other environmentalists were as willing as this woman to display their premises. It would make Epstein's job much easier. Notice that Epstein tried to give McKibben an opportunity to reject this position when he asked McKibben to support Nuclear. McKibben dodged by claiming it was more expensive than wind and solar. Epstein was too kind; I think next time he should bait the McKibben types into affirming the position, rather than rejecting it. Once an audience knows your opponent doesn't care about people, the rest is a cake-walk.

The McKibben supporter discussion leads with this gem:

This woman and her daughter are outraged because Epstein is thinking about humanity, while their value-systems dictate that we sacrafice humans to Gaia. I wish other environmentalists were as willing as this woman to display their premises. It would make Epstein's job much easier. Notice that Epstein tried to give McKibben an opportunity to reject this position when he asked McKibben to support Nuclear. McKibben dodged by claiming it was more expensive than wind and solar. Epstein was too kind; I think next time he should bait the McKibben types into affirming the position, rather than rejecting it. Once an audience knows your opponent doesn't care about people, the rest is a cake-walk.

is it necessarily an is /or thing

Edited by Mikee

I think so, but honestly McKibben may be too smart to fall for that trap. Sooner or later Epstein is going to debate someone who is excited about the "biocentric" ethical framework. I put that in scare quotes because Objectivism and any form of humanistic/anthropocentric ethics are biocentric. Perhaps "anthrophobic" is a better way to describe the woman's position.