Objectivism Online Forum

What did you think of the first Presidential debate?

Rate this topic

To an Objectivist, Romney said a lot of crap. Obama, meanwhile, just about managed to stammer out something.

However, from the perspective of an independent voter, I think Romey wiped the floor with Obama. James Carville -- hard-core Democrat spin-meister -- admitted that Obama looked like he did not want to be there. The whole debate looked like CEO Romney explaining to Senior Manager Obama why he has not lived up to his expectations.

I half expected Obama to lose it and go into a infinite loop muttering "hope 'n change... hope 'n change... hope 'n change... hope 'n change... hope 'n change... hope 'n change... hope 'n change... "

Edited by softwareNerd

Looking back, I can see how Romney out did Obama but while watching the debate I didn't even realize it as it was overshadowed by Romney's lack of principles, inability to attack Obama for what he really is and the similarity of the two's rhetoric. Overall, I'm happy that the debate went Romney's way.

Romney does not know what free market means. He thinks you cant have a free market without regulations. He was very assertively explicit about that. He thinks regulations are essential to a free market.

Wrong.

A free market is not free when there are regulations.

He says every free economy has good regulation.

Wrong.

It is precisely because of regulations that no economies have been free market economies.

Im still planning on voting Romney/Ryan, though. I think his talk on jobs and healthcare are less worse than Obamas. Romney also spoke of being for private markets and individual responsibility, since they always work best.

Edited by intellectualammo

Romney also spoke of being for private markets and individual responsibility, since they always work best.

He said something like that, but he is totally unable to explain why he implemented Romneycare which is the same as Obamacare. He specifically said always, when the exception apparently is something he did. As far as I could tell, Romney thought Romneycare is perfectly cool because it was put into place with bipartisan support. So, I have no reason to think Romney *actually* believes what he said, meaning I have no idea what he will ever do about health care.

I thought the difference between Obamacare and Romneycare was states deciding, not federal government, also the vouchers.

If you can really call that a meaningful difference. These people that are for state rights vs federal gov rights are full of it. It's wrong at any level of government.

I thought Romney did have a few good moments, but he did not kill Obama like the media is trying to portray it. My guess is that they are doing this just to get people interested in the race to get more ratings. The debate sucked overall as they agreed on principle on pretty much every topic and no alternative was presented!

My guess is that they are doing this just to get people interested in the race to get more ratings.
No, this is a bad guess. It misunderstands the motivations of a set of people who are very important to the political future of the country.

The debate sucked overall as they agreed on principle on pretty much every topic and no alternative was presented!

Obama: Education is important. Teachers are important. Kids are important. Taxes are important. Social security is important. Medicare is important. National healthcare is important. The budget is important.

Romney: I agree, Mr. President.

It's wrong at any level of government.

I agree. He does want to open it up some to competition in the market place for health insurance with the vouchers, or you choosing traditional medical coverage and expresses way more respect between doctors and patients without the way theyd be treated under Obamacare. He is also for deregulating some so businesses will hire more.

Edited by intellectualammo

Romney had the clear advantage - the state of the economy throughout Obama's run has left Obama with no credit of being able to get any sort of practical result. Obama looked as if he knew any plans or ideas he talked of were going to be tainted with his past failure. As for how Romney did, from what I saw, he had lots of easy attacks on Obama's horrible track record but was not that confidence inspiring when it came to his own ideas and plans.