Objectivism Online Forum

Proper punishment for sex offenders

Rate this topic

thenelli01

It can be proven with a "Yes" or "No" from the younger party.

But that is not proof, that is testimony. Testimony is a rather unreliable form of evidence. If it is just one person's word against another's then one person must be lying and other evidence must be found.

Well, I suppose we'll never know then, just like with all sexual encounters, without actual recorded evidence. Edit: Even with a recording, a context would have to be established based on testimony.

Edited by JASKN

• 1 year later...

I don't know. Take this scenario: 18 yr old dating a 17 yr old -> parents catch them in the act -> 18 yr old is charged with statutory rape -> 18 yr old is listed as a sex offender for the rest of his life.

I didn't realize that even someone committing a so-called offence as young as 12 can end up on the sex-offender's list. Even if the facts aren't quite as reported in that story, surely the "culprit" does not belong on a list. Like with many drug-related crimes, the general public ignores the injustice.