Objectivism Online Forum

What did you think of the Vice Presidential debate?

Rate this topic

Good debate - I liked the moderator.

On foreign policy, Biden won. Ryan looked silly - they agree on most issues -maybe differences on managerial styles - but he should have agreed with Biden instead of pointing out silly Fox News talking points.

On economy, both lost. Ryan especially lost because he didn't talk about the deficits and got trapped in a number game. Not to mention - what is the difference between closing loopholes and raising the tax rate on the upper class? He also looked silly when he couldn't give specifics. Paul Ryan's a fraud on fiscal conservativism which I think Biden effectively pointed out. It's hard to argue against Biden and his plan when you aren't offering actual spending cuts (the numbers don't add up) and when you can't do so on principle.

Abortion - Biden wins and he makes a good point on Supreme Court appointments.

Biden won overall - he could have chilled out with the laughing though. I did think it was a bit disrespectful.

Edited by Matt Giannelli

I thought Biden looked and acted like the cranky old man holding court at a bar, the type that slaps the counter every time someone says anything he doesn’t like, which is often. Usually this type pontificates about sports teams, who’s going to win next Sunday, that kind of thing. And he’s used to having enough yes men surrounding him, telling him he was right last week (when he wasn’t) such that his self-image is one of personal infallibility.

Meanwhile I thought Ryan did fine. His closing was quite good.

I too found Biden disrespectful for the laughing and also interrupting Ryan, but Ryan cashed in on that well, when he said, 'I know you are under a lot of duress to make up for lost ground'.

Ryan,who opposes abortion on grounds of his religious views, he wants to impose his religious views onto others through the government, Biden, who also shares his religious views, he will not impose them on others, by leaving a woman the choice.

Who is the greater evil so far? I still say the present administration is and will continue to be. Though this would push us possibly further to an M2 culture by possibly being able to impose religious views in regards to abortion, but what about all the violations in regards to the marketplace? One cant wear protection over ones wallet. If tax cuts expire, and ObamaCare is in full effect, I think that there would be more rights violations with no protection.

Edited by intellectualammo

And he’s used to having enough yes men surrounding him, telling him he was right last week (when he wasn’t) such that his self-image is one of personal infallibility.

Correction, or rather addendum:

The type I’m thinking about here doesn’t necessarily have a platoon of yes-men surrounding him. More likely, no one bothers arguing with him anymore because they’ve found that there’s no point, no one can get through, and he always ends up making a mess on the carpet. He’s simply that kind of A-hole.