Objectivism Online Forum

My economics professor is an idiot...amirite?

Rate this topic

Dixonm7

Hey guys Im brand new to the boards. I just came here to get some verification that my Econ professor truly is an idiot.. He has been making mistakes all quarter. It can bascially be assumed that on every single test or quiz there will be mistakes...that is if he even remembers to post it on time (no im not kidding sometimes he doesnt even post the quiz during the alotted time he allows)..

So the answer to this question is clearly 40 units, not 100 units. amirite?

Screenshot2012-10-25at13305PM.png

There were a couple other question on the quiz that I though were suspect of being incorrectly marked wrong but I could also be wrong on these ones as well. Let me know what you guys think about these ones.

Screenshot2012-10-25at13345PM.png

Screenshot2012-10-25at13347PM.png

This one I am actually un sure of but I figure I'd post it anyways since my professor makes so many mistakes.

Screenshot2012-10-25at13410PM.png

Screenshot2012-10-25at13412PM.png

So what do you guys think? Did I truly get all of these wrong? Some of them wrong? Or is my professor truly just dumb...

You're right. (Assuming the red dot is your answer and green check is the recommended answer).

The answers to the first two examples above are so basic that I wonder if there's some weird explanation for the recommended answers being wrong in the system. Have you asked him for his explanation on one or two of these, to ensure that he really agrees with the recommended answer?

Yes, the red dot is my answer and the green check is the recommended answer that the teacher says is correct. I emailed him but there is a slim to none chance I will get a response.

There were multiple questions on the previous exam that told you to refer to a graph, and then there wasn't even a graph posted to refer to. There were also multiple questions where to correct answer wasn't even listed as one of the choices. This happened on every single students exam, and instead of just adjusting everyone's score, you need to actually bring them to his attention IN PERSON (no chance of him responding to an email) for him to do anything about it. When I complained to him about how he fails to respond to emails he responds with "Give me a break, I get 250 emails a day."

#1 i call bull shit on 250 emails a day, and #2 I dont pay $4000 of tuition at the University of Washington to "give my professor a break" when he messes up (it's a common occurrence).

How about for the third question? I think there is a chance I actually got that one incorrect but I thought I would post it anyways on account of him messing up being such a common occurrence.

How about for the third question? I think there is a chance I actually got that one incorrect but I thought I would post it anyways on account of him messing up being such a common occurrence.
I don't like the concept of "consumer surplus", but you gave the generally accepted answer. In that triangle on the left, the upper area is "consumer surplus" and the lower area is "producer surplus". See here.

..., the upper area is "consumer surplus" and the lower area is "producer surplus".
To clarify... the question asked about "total surplus". That might mean A through F is the right answer, which is not the recommended one anyway. Problem is that some consumer-centric texts focus on consumer-surplus alone. So, I'd say the answer is "A, B, E" or "A through F", depending on whether the concept of surplus you have been taught includes Consumer surplus only, or Consumer + Producer.

So I did get the last one wrong, but even if I did answer it correctly, I still would have been marked wrong...

I can guarantee there are some other answers on quizzes/exams that were answered correctly but marked as incorrect. Unless you bring this up to him in person and give him a signed piece of paper saying what was wrong, he will do nothing about it. Then when you complain he tells you to give him a break. Emailing him is useless.

The professor makes all of the answer sheets, he has no TA. It is a hybrid class so we only meet once a week for 2 hours and the rest of the class is online. He has no idea what he is doing when it comes to the online portion of the class.

A college education has become the biggest scam in American history. They charge criminally high rates to get an education and drive most people into drowning debt so that once people do graduate and get a career, they spend the first 5-10 years of that career paying off their student debt.

And this is what i pay for? A Professor that wants me to "give him a break" when he doesn't know what he is doing? LUDICROUS! smiley-angry003.gif

Have you shopped around? If you're there to get your ticket punched instead of studying in a school with an impressive reputation, I'd suggest looking at online colleges. The courses of study are usually more limited, but the flexibility often allows you to work at higher paying jobs in the meantime. If you'd rather work part time you can often get through the material faster. Some competency based schools let you pay by semester, which can save you thousands of dollars if you complete the degree faster. They often have lower tuition costs to begin with. You can probably transfer most of the credits you've already accumulated.

Yeah, I did my first two years at a community college. I'd prefer to get my degree from an established university but it's just so darn expensive.

I should be getting better than this is what I'm really trying to say.

Like I said, I don't pay $4000/qtr at an in state university to get "give me a break" from my professor when he constantly makes these blatant mistakes.