Objectivism Online Forum

A vote for Romney was a vote against Objectivism.

Rate this topic

Consider:

• Romney wears magic underpants.
  • Romney is a statist in the same style as George W Bush.
  • Romney is a liar (he flip flops on all his positions).

All of these points are diametrically opposed to a vote consistent with Objectivism. Can you write a similar list for Obama? Yes.

• Obama believes in the same magic desert preacher as Romney (but omits the more idiotic position of sacred underwear). Obama win. Just.
  • Obama is also a statist. But Romney being a Bush style statist (talk capitalism, enact statism) is worse from an Objectivist prospective because it gives Capitalism a bad name. Obama win because at least he is honest in his statism.
  • Obama sticks to his principles (even if you disagree with him he doesn't flip-flop and lie like Romney). Obama win.

Final score from an Objectivist perspective: 3-0 Obama win. So why did a lot of Objectivists support and vote for Romney?

Edited by Kate87

Your second and third points about Obama are easily seen to be inaccurate.

He talks capitalism, with frequent mention of free markets, while practicing statism.

Same-sex marriage, halving the deficit, closing Guantanamo and keeping federal hands off marijuana in the states that have allowed it, are all examples of the dreaded flip-flop.

All of these points are diametrically opposed to a vote consistent with Objectivism.

Objectivism only has one thing to say on how someone should fight against thuggery: morality ends where a gun begins. If something prevents even a single act of force against me, it's consistent with Objectivism.

That invalidates everything you said. Voting against someone like Obama is subject only to practical evaluation. If a vote for Romney prevents an act of force from being perpetrated against me, I have the moral right to vote for Romney. The only reason why I didn't is because I couldn't think of anything significant that would be prevented.

But others might have. Romney doesn't have to be an Objectivist to prevent some of the things Liberals want to accomplish. In fact, Republicans just like Romney have been preventing such things for the past two years, and they will continue to prevent them for the next two (and hopefully four). All you need to do to figure that out is take a look at the Democratic and White House proposals that never came to be in the past two years: the list is long and horrifying.

Obama believes in the same magic desert preacher as Romney (but omits the more idiotic position of sacred underwear). Obama win. Just.

Yeah, the finer points of Romney's particular brand of mysticism are almost as idiotic as they are unimportant compared to taxation, fascist financial regulations, socialized health-care and crippling debt.

Final score from an Objectivist perspective: 3-0 Obama win. So why did a lot of Objectivists support and vote for Romney?

For the record, at least around here, CrowEpistemologist argued similar points you're pointing out, and I agreed with much of it even, personally. For me, the difference is marginal, but in general, I vote according to a position on abortion, that is, opposing anyone who would make abortion illegal if given the chance.

In the long-run, I'd bet most people around here would say both Romney and Obama are more harm than good. Do you want to drive off a cliff or collide head on with a train? You're gonna crash either way.

Edited by Eiuol