Objectivism Online Forum

Lenin

Rate this topic

tommyedison

Were Lenin's sins and bad philosophy an honest error or a deliberate denial of facts in an attempt to gain power?

What evidence have you gathered so far -- for either side of the question?

What is the context -- partly defined by your purpose -- for your question?

Why do you say attempt to gain power?

Were Lenin's sins and bad philosophy an honest error or a deliberate denial of facts in an attempt to gain power?

From what I understand, he, during relatively the freeest period in the history of man, accepted Marxist ideas. Accepting Marxism as an adult, in my not-so-humble opinion, is a result of conscious context dropping and evasion.

Example in brief: Workers will rise up and seize the factories (capital).

But where did the factories come from? What system allowed them to get built? What type of man and under what conditions and implied promises will build and invest in a factory? Blank out. Blank out. Blank out.

No adult can accept Marxism honestly.

Seizing capital for ANY endeavor is immoral.

What evidence have you gathered so far -- for either side of the question?

From whatever information I have got from Google, the ones which describe his character describe him as an idealist.

What is the context -- partly defined by your purpose -- for your question?

I was discussing Communism with a friend of mine and I was harshly criticising Lenin. Although he agreed with me, he mentioned that Lenin was an honest man and did not deserve such contempt.

So my purpose is to understand that if Lenin was indeed honest, how could there be such a dichotomy between ideas and action.

And can a man like Lenin be forgiven if what he did was an honest error?

Why do you say attempt to gain power?

Sorry, not an attempt to gain power as he did gain power. What I meant was that did he promote Communism with full knowledge of its natue so that he could rule over the minds of people.

I suggest you get a book called The Black Book of Communism which will lay to rest any notions of Lenin's "honesty". Let me give you a tiny quick quote from that %^%!#@, and you can judge the honesty from there.

"...For as long as we fail to treat speculators the way they deserve-with a bullet in the head-we will not get anywhere at all." TBBOC pg 59