Objectivism Online Forum

Ari Audio Lectures

Rate this topic

RationalEgoistSG

I am currently looking into purchasing some audio lectures from the ARI bookstore. Seeing as how I am a poor college student, I am looking for lectures that would provide the most value. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Since you didn't indicate a budget, I personally would suggest The History of Philosophy (both 1 and 2) by Dr. Peikoff. Since it covers the whole history, both good and bad - as well as the responses to what is bad - it is the most cumulative and informative of any audio tapes in general.

It is somewhat expensive. However, because you are a student, you may be able to get a discount rate.

Furthermore, doesn't ARI have some sort of audio lending program for students/ student organizations? I seem to recall something to this effect, but cannot remember the specifics. You might want to check into that as well.

Yes, I suppose that I should have mentioned a budget. I'm looking to spend, at max, around $300.

I have looked into that series that you mentioned, however, it seems a bit too expensive, thanks.

While I am very interested in those history lectures, I'm also quite interested in fully undertstanding such Objectivist positions as free will, consciousness, the validity of the senses, and the nature of axiomatic concepts.

...I'm also quite interested in fully undertstanding such Objectivist positions as free will, consciousness, the validity of the senses, and the nature of axiomatic concepts.

Harry Binswanger's lectures on consciousness are generally very good. (So far I've heard his "Metaphysics of Consciousness," "Consciousness as Identification," and "Psycho-epistemology" lectures, and I would recommend any of them.) I haven't heard his "Free Will" lectures yet, but based on the quality of his other work I would guess that they are probably also good.