Objectivism Online Forum

Peter Parker/Spiderman

Rate this topic

Toolboxnj

He isn't a slave, because he does it of his own choosing.  Objectivism doesn't rule out charity.  I went to a speech by Andrew Bernstein, where he mentioned something about some impoverished girl that he adopted from a third-world country.  I don't imagine he's reaping any financial benefits by doing that.

I think it's important to understand that the true motivations of a superhero (Superman comes to mind) are that of favoring life over death, favoring triumph over defeat, favoring good over evil.

In spiderman, I sensed a sense of guilt motivating his good deeds. I used to read SpiderMan comics in my younger years, as I marveled over the antics of this super-hero. :confused:

Re: Ditko/Spider Man/Objectivism

Yes, Ditko was a fan of Ayn Rand, and Yes, Spider man was created by Ditko. But he only wrote the first 12 (or thereabouts) issues. He quit after Stan Lee wanted Green Goblin to be revealed as a friend of Parker's. Ditko wanted no moral ambiguity in his work.

As for Parker's Altruistic behavior... well, I think he eventually learns his lesson on that one. I don't think Spider Man 1 or 2 are meant to stand alone... I think they are meant to be part of a series which will ultimately take a differant direction. (but that is from my knowledge of the comics and is open to the interpretation of whoever writes/directs/influences the future movies)

As for Parker's Altruistic behavior... well, I think he eventually learns his lesson on that one. I don't think Spider Man 1 or 2 are meant to stand alone... I think they are meant to be part of a series which will ultimately take a differant direction. (but that is from my knowledge of the comics and is open to the interpretation of whoever writes/directs/influences the future movies)

So, quite possibly we can see a selfish hero come out of it after all? I don't think so.

When he discards the costume and his altruistic tendencies, I felt that the moviegoer was supposed to shun him anyways. The children looking up to him, the crime rate skyrocketing, etc and it's all Peter Parker's fault and no one else’s. Why doesn't the movie question why anyone would want to even live in this environment, since before Spiderman existed this must have been the mainstream.

Also, the Aunt May character is horrific. Ever since losing her husband she is depressed and seeks to avenge the person who was responsible. Who was responsible? The criminal that killed Uncle Ben, not Peter Parker. Parker then blames himself for the death when he had little or no causal involvement in it. Aunt May then pushes him away (her only kin), not recognizing this fact that Parker is wrong in implying he had anything to do with it.

Edit: speeeeeling

• 2 months later...